Nissan XTerra Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2002 5 speed 4×4 SC
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You may have a separate odor issue going on under the hood but this looks like a fairly active leak here in this picture. In the lower left of the picture it appears the frame is wet and the exhaust heat shield looks like the migrating leak fluid has dropped on to that shield and it is dark brown from burnt fluid. Is that what you were seeing under there?
Yes. So much grime. My dad never did any maintenance on this. For 4 years. So I'm not sure whats new or old. Its a mess I do know that. The wetness on the frame is the same fluid in my reservoir for radiator. Or they smell the same with same consistency also

·
Registered
2002 5 speed 4×4 SC
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So all that dirt is from a leak? I have a small oil leak I was told anyways. But when I started it today a belt squeeled so loudly and now my check engine light is on

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
249 Posts
A tailpipe that's black is normal if the car is ever driven. No engine burns fuel perfectly completely, so some soot is bound to happen.

You may have multiple leaks.

If it smells like coolant (radiator fluid), and you touch it and it's not oily, then it's most likely coolant. If it's slippery, that's just the chemicals they use, but if it's slippery and oily (kinda sticks to your fingers), then it's more likely motor oil, tranny fluid, or PS fluid. And I'm sure we all hope it's not brake fluid!

·
Registered
168 Posts
So all that dirt is from a leak? I have a small oil leak I was told anyways. But when I started it today a belt squeeled so loudly and now my check engine light is on
Well, sounds like your burning rubber smell under the hood was something that the drive belt was trying to turn and it was resisting enough to originally cause a burn smell but now it has progressed to the point that it has created a startup squeal and a system engine code to go with it. Are you able to give us the code and check for a seized up pulley or idler that belt is attempting to drive?

·
Registered
2002 5 speed 4×4 SC
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok ya'll sorry I just now getting back.

The squealing upon starting happened twice and hasn't again. The check engine light has gone off too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome back. I guess you probably have been too busy to check for rough turning pulleys or idler wheels in the belt path to see if you can narrow it down? One of the best ways to do that if you don't already know is to remove the drive belt and proceed to spin each of the pulleys to see if you find one that is not spinning relatively freely.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts