Nissan XTerra Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, I'm no mechanic...trust me...I was nervous just tightening the 8 screws on this project...I was proud of myself!!! I'll keep checking from time to time encase it happens again!!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
When you tighten them down on the valve cover gasket do not over tighten. Also do not keep tightening them with a lot of force because if you think of squishing a sandwich, it is basically what your doing to the gasket. The gasket sits between the covers and the bottom of the engine. Chances are the gasket is old and decrepit as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay....I wont bother them anymore...you can still undo them easily...its very oily there...I didn't use a power tool on them or anything like that...thanks for the advice!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've actually seen this happen very soon after replacing valve cover gaskets. Its true that the gaskets shrink over time. When I changed out both the gaskets, I thought I was using the correct torque - none were loose. 3 months and a couple thousand miles later, they were all loose again. When this happens, you should be able to get away with tightening all the ones you can reach with a large phillips head screwdriver. You can reach the lower bolts on the driver side, its the upper ones that are covered by the intake plenium. This should be the first thing you try whenever you smell that burning oil smell.

I would smell it most whenever I exited the highway and was sitting at a stop.

Another source of oil leaks that has been a sore spot for me is the oil pressure sender. Oil goes through the sensor itself, soaking the wire, the rubber cover for the sensor, and everything around it. It won't make a burning smell because its on the bottom of the engine. but if you see oil spots on the driveway I would definitely check this out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all of the help...this a great community for support with these trucks...glad I joined up when I did....so far, so good....im running fine now...I'm sure I'll have a new issue soon...I'll check here with my problems first...l

Greg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an '02 and mine had the same problem last year. it turns out it was a bad seal in one of the gaskets. i ended up replacing both of them since they were both dry rotted and that did the trick

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a leaking brake line.... The one that runs from the ABS block to the Front Right Caliper. right where the wrap is where the line makes an angle around the wheel well. Not a huge leak but enough to where the level drops enough for the light to come on in about a week and a half. Going to fix that this weekend when I have some time off. I am pretty sure that is where my smell is coming from since it is right next to the passenger side manifold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noticed a burning smell (oil I think) coming from my X recently... when I'm in park or stopped. It's a 2002 2wd and I know I need a new alternator belt but I don't think that's the cause. My A/C has been broken since 2009 (I know... I've let this go way too long... but I just recharge it in the summer) so it's probably a leak. But it's winter now and I have only turned the heat on a few times. Does anyone know what they think it could be? I read about bad head gasket but really not sure. Should I do a leak test by draining the antifreeze and adding water and dye? I don't mind my A/C not working still but I don't want this problem to blow up into a huge one. Any ideas? Pricing to have these fixed recommended as well. Thanks!
Mine was smelling bad, too. My valve cover itself was warped, letting oil drip down between it and the firewall, onto the exhaust.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts