Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a burning smell (oil I think) coming from my X recently... when I'm in park or stopped. It's a 2002 2wd and I know I need a new alternator belt but I don't think that's the cause. My A/C has been broken since 2009 (I know... I've let this go way too long... but I just recharge it in the summer) so it's probably a leak. But it's winter now and I have only turned the heat on a few times. Does anyone know what they think it could be? I read about bad head gasket but really not sure. Should I do a leak test by draining the antifreeze and adding water and dye? I don't mind my A/C not working still but I don't want this problem to blow up into a huge one. Any ideas? Pricing to have these fixed recommended as well. Thanks!

·
Guenstling
1,070 Posts
I have the same thing on my '02. Saw a thread about tightening head bolts, but they are tight. Have you noticed it leaking oil? Mine leaks on the passenger side of the motor. I need to pull that tire and see where the leak is. I bet it's oil leaking and burning in the motor- I smell it on the inside when I'm at a stop light or in park. I'll stop at a dealership tomorrow and ask about and let ya know what I find out. If anybody on the Forum knows, enlighten us, please.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Guenstling
1,070 Posts
On the motor, not in...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick reply! I'm going to check to see if it's leaking any oil tomorrow when it's light out. I'll let you know what I find... I'll take pics :) I appreciate you letting me know what the dealership says.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey.. i had the same problem with mine... i had a oil leak that was dripping right onto the hot exhaust manifold which was making a burning smell... it wasnt a big deal jsut had to repair the leak and the smell went away

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
The leak you guys are probably thinking of is the valve cover gaskets. They can leak right onto the exhaust manifolds and sometimes can be fixed by tightening the bolts. The gaskets shrink over time.

I've had a burning smell from my flex pipe on the exhaust for 2 different reasons: if you pull the driveshaft, gear oil can come out of the transfer case and drip on it, then burn off when it's driven. Also the yolk on the driveshaft can leak, spinning oil onto the exhaust.

Another place to look is below your power steering reservoir.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I think I read gaskets are pretty pricey to have fixed?
Valve cover gaskets? It depends which side, passenger side is very easy, driver side not so much.

·
Guenstling
1,070 Posts
Yeah that's what I meant- thanks for the clarification

·
Guenstling
1,070 Posts
Julie- sorry I didn't get back to you the other day on this. I kept meaning to call the dealership but never did- I had checked with them on another issue and was basically told to bring it in so they could check it out- for $95. It was a bulb, that I fixed myself. Anyway, I tightened the valve cover bolts and the smell is gone. None of them were snug. It's a Phillips head screwdriver. Hopefully that's all it is, if you haven't gotten it fixed already.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a matter of coincidence I just noticed this very same issue last night. I had just parked my truck in the driveway and was going to fiddle with the aiming on my Hellas when I saw smoking coming out of my headlights and detected a light burning oil smell.

It was too cold and too dark to check things out then, but this morning I saw an obvious oil leak out of the valve cover. Literally every single screw was loose. Tightened them all down, cleaned up the oil as best I could and drove around a bit. No smoke, but still a faint smell. Hopefully this fixed it, and your issue too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I haven't responded about my X... busy week followed by being sick :( I did check under the hood and didn't notice any leaks, but I'm also not an "Xpert". Really lame X joke.... ha. I just need to take it in. I'll let everyone know the verdict.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Do you have too much oil in there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue...

I also have the same issue. Faint smell of burning oil. Very infrequently. Usually only at start-up. Been checking for a while, and no oil ever seems to hit the ground, so I imagine it's just landing on the exhaust. I did however notice this morning, at a fast glance, what appeared to be fresh oil on the ground under the passenger's side of the motor. I'll be sure to check the valve covers first. I hope it's just that. Thanks for everyone's replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm glad that I read your info on valve cover gaskets..this saved me a lot of money. The service centre I go to wanted to charge me a lot of money to replace them on a rebuildt engine they just installed about 7 months ago. I checked the screws and the were ALL LOSE!! I tighten them all with a screw driver, NO MORE SMOKE OR BURNING SMELLS!!!

Thanks

·
Guenstling
1,070 Posts
Outstanding

Sent from The Dark Side

1 - 20 of 31 Posts