Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Bumping sound from rear when going over speed bumps

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Leslie 
#1 ·
I have a stock 2wd 2000 exterra, that has a bumping sound from the rear when going over speed bumps. I've checked end links, sway bar mounts, shock mounts and replaced the shocks everything seems good. What I noticed is the rear body is lower on the bumper as compared to other exterra's. I'm wondering if the rear rubber body mounts have collapsed? The Nissan dealer does not have a rubber mount in stock to look at. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
So the actual body is sitting lower than the rear bumper?

Or is the whole corner of the truck sitting lower than the other side? My first instinct is a broken leaf spring. Fairly common and they can be hard to spot. Might be cracked right down at the u bolt.

#3 ·
Just to throw a simple possibility out there, check to see if your spare tire is snug tightly against the chassis. It could be that it is just a little loose and you are hearing it bump against the body.

Do you feel the bump say in the pedals or seat of your pants or is it mainly just a noise you hear?

You might also put a wrench on the body mounts at the rear of your X and see you if you can tighten them any.

#4 ·
Just to throw a simple possibility out there, check to see if your spare tire is snug tightly against the chassis. It could be that it is just a little loose and you are hearing it bump against the body.

Do you feel the bump say in the pedals or seat of your pants or is it mainly just a noise you hear?

You might also put a wrench on the body mounts at the rear of your X and see you if you can tighten them any.
I have checked the spare tire, the body mount is tight and exhaust pipe for looseness. I feel a big bump and a loud bump in the rear.To keep from wasting everyone's time. I will take a picture of both sides of the body in relation to the bumper. That's what I should have done first. thanks for the input. It will be tomorrow before I can do the pictures. thanks

#5 ·
Pic of bumper to body

I have checked the spare tire, the body mount is tight and exhaust pipe for looseness. I feel a big bump and a loud bump in the rear.To keep from wasting everyone's time. I will take a picture of both sides of the body in relation to the bumper. That's what I should have done first. thanks for the input. It will be tomorrow before I can do the pictures. thanks
I have the pics. I have removed the cover from the bumper, thinking tailgate hitting bumper but that was not the case. Looking at other exterras, my body seems to be about a half inch lower to the body. I'm going to check the leaf springs to see if one is broken. If I could get a new rear body bushing I would pull one out and compare. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.