Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working on my PML and I have a question about the bump stop gap. The bump stop is pretty much maxed out, the rubber is just barley touching metal, But the gap from the bottom of the bump stop to to the top is 0.5 inches. Does it matter if the bump stop itself is maxed out as long as the gap from metal to metal is 1/2 an inch?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I seem to be having trouble finding a answer to this question as well, Will Re-indexing my torsion bars increase the bump stop gap or not?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
No reindexing will not change it. If your riding on the bumpstops its going to be a rough ride. You can get the ultra low profile bumpstops form energy suspension and they will give you a little more travel space.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The 1/2" bumpstop gap is measured from the top of the upper bumpstop to the bottom of the UCA.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Thanks. Is there any downside to riding on the bump stops besides rough ride?
The stock range of wheel alignment adjustment is about where you have the 1/2" gap to the top of the stop (The rubber) to the bottom of the UCA.

That means that adding low profile stops only changes the gap, but NOT WHAT THE ORIGINAL GAP MEANT.

(The gap was a reference point only)

IE: You will destroy your front tires and have worse handling, etc, because you are not going to be able to get a decent wheel alignment....no matter WHAT stops you use.

If the OEM set-up's gap would have been ~ 3/4 - 1/2" - you can still align it.

If the OEM gap would have been smaller than that, you are getting out of OEM part's alignment range.

If you add UCA that are shaped to pull the tops of the tires back inboard, such as those from AC, etc, you can lift to ~ 3" of SL, still, by coincidence, have a ~ 1/2" gap...AND still be able to get a decent wheel alignment.

>:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts