Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Xterra SE 3.3
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so recently i broke down a vg33e motor went to the parts store and bought all replacement parts and put it back together, needless to say i was a little disappointed in performance.lol the reason i did the rebuild in the first place was due to connector rod bearings started knocking a little.
im running a
6" SL
2" BL
35 x 12.50 R20 M/T
3" Dual Straight Pipes from Cats Back
15* on Timing
So what i need is a good high performance Parts place to order good reliable hp parts from
if you can tell me a good place would be Awesome And i have a time LIMIT aswell I need to do this in
3 WEEKS or LESS DUE TO MOVING LOL.
im very mechanically inclined and can do it if i can get my hands on the parts!!!!!
heres some pictures of what it looks like now.and some of the old pictures yes theres two motors one is a stock back up motor sorry bout the mess to i mention im moving to a lot bigger place

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
I have to wonder if sourcing a used Gen 1 supercharged motor and doing a blueprinting job on that would be your best road to increased performance. I don't know that you will achieve any significant performance increase from installing parts on a Gen 1 3.3 motor.

·
Registered
2000 SE 4x4 M/T 3.3L
155 Posts
I've been thinking of rebuilding mine too. it has 320,000 on the engine and is the typical 0-60 in 5 minutes.

Did you hone the cylinders, put in new rings and grind the valves? I've wondered about boring /sleeving it, but I'm not sure if that be done on the VG33.

Also, just curious how you got the 6 inches of SL in the front...I didn't think that was a thing.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
Go
I have to wonder if sourcing a used Gen 1 supercharged motor and doing a blueprinting job on that would be your best road to increased performance. I don't know that you will achieve any significant performance increase from installing parts on a Gen 1 3.3 motor.
Good looking rig for sure but FYI....the muddy brake fluid in your master cylinder needs to be purged to supply clean clear brake fluid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been thinking of rebuilding mine too. it has 320,000 on the engine and is the typical 0-60 in 5 minutes.

Did you hone the cylinders, put in new rings and grind the valves? I've wondered about boring /sleeving it, but I'm not sure if that be done on the VG33.

Also, just curious how you got the 6 inches of SL in the front...I didn't think that was a thing.
yes .20 oversized cylinders and had the crank grind and polished to bearings .5

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what i did was the arms are not xterra and nor the shocks i went to full coilovers all the way around. i can go through a ditch and literately the body stays level

·
Registered
2000 Xterra 2WD Gold
132 Posts
NA performance is going to be anemic,so going forced induction will be the best bang for buck. You can port and polish everything and increase compression or displacement but those have upper limits and drawbacks for drivability.

As others have said, supercharging is well known. I suspect with a custom manifold you could fit a small turbocharger if you were very careful, but I'm not sure if you could fit two (so you would have to have the two manifolds join together before the turbo charger to provide balanced exhaust spinup.) And I'm also hesitant to suggest this because it could easily blow up in your face.

Supercharging it is an option but I'm unsure how the motors differ if at all so it may be best to start with a supercharged long block.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,333 Posts
There are performance parts available for the VG engines and a lot that can be done to improve them but it’s really a matter of what you are expecting after the upgrades.

I have long tube headers, no cats, NISMO catback exhaust, ported intake, ported and polished heads, JWT cams and springs, 3 angle valve job, blah blah blah. My truck has had anything that is not needed removed to lower the weight. With all the mods is it better then stock? Absolutely. Is it fast? No, it’s a pig and can not be called fast at all unless compared to other Gen1 Xterra’s. In the end it’s still a 5000 pound plus SUV that you measure 0-60 time with a sundial. My Versa will smoke my X and that thing makes just over 100HP but weighs in at just under 2500 LBS. While a great little car they are not in any way shape or form fast.

I’ve run mine against a stock 04 SC with the same wheels, armor, and suspension mods, and mines faster. The brakes suck and not a lot you can do about it without a lot of fab work so more power is a moot point because your not gonna get it stopped. Lifted suspension that articulates well and big HP do not play well together so that’s another issue.

If your dead set on having good HP numbers turbo is the best option. I have a friend that is a well known twin turbo system builder for the 300Z crowd and while my engine was out we looked at fitting his system into an X using his mock up engine and system. There would have to be a but load of fab and relocation that would have to be done to get this setup in an X.

If you want to gain back some of the power lost to armor and bigger tires, headers and cams will get it done. If you want a fast Xterra be prepared to burn pallets of cash and thousands of hours of your time.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
There are performance parts available for the VG engines and a lot that can be done to improve them but it’s really a matter of what you are expecting after the upgrades.

I have long tube headers, no cats, NISMO catback exhaust, ported intake, ported and polished heads, JWT cams and springs, 3 angle valve job, blah blah blah. My truck has had anything that is not needed removed to lower the weight. With all the mods is it better then stock? Absolutely. Is it fast? No, it’s a pig and can not be called fast at all unless compared to other Gen1 Xterra’s. In the end it’s still a 5000 pound plus SUV that you measure 0-60 time with a sundial. My Versa will smoke my X and that thing makes just over 100HP but weighs in at just under 2500 LBS. While a great little car they are not in any way shape or form fast.

I’ve run mine against a stock 04 SC with the same wheels, armor, and suspension mods, and mines faster. The brakes suck and not a lot you can do about it without a lot of fab work so more power is a moot point because your not gonna get it stopped. Lifted suspension that articulates well and big HP do not play well together so that’s another issue.

If your dead set on having good HP numbers turbo is the best option. I have a friend that is a well known twin turbo system builder for the 300Z crowd and while my engine was out we looked at fitting his system into an X using his mock up engine and system. There would have to be a but load of fab and relocation that would have to be done to get this setup in an X.

If you want to gain back some of the power lost to armor and bigger tires, headers and cams will get it done. If you want a fast Xterra be prepared to burn pallets of cash and thousands of hours of your time.
Making the heads breathe is a good thing!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Did you install reground camshafts from Schinder racing cams in San Diego, Ca, and have computer reprogramed?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You know I would love to do a motor swap but I just wanted to see how much I can get out of the 3.3. to me a smaller motor put out as much as a big block and is faster than a big block is something like excitement for me to take something that small and to make it that big that's that's awesome

·
Registered
291 Posts
You know I would love to do a motor swap but I just wanted to see how much I can get out of the 3.3. to me a smaller motor put out as much as a big block and is faster than a big block is something like excitement for me to take something that small and to make it that big that's that's awesome
Or maybe a Nissan 4.0 swap? if you have no smog restriction, maybe Nissan 5.6 V8, Or check maybe a Nissan Mixima 3.5 they run pretty strong and might fit stock trany bell housing?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts