Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured that enough has been done on my truck now to warrant a build thread. Plus, it will be kinda cool to see how far I’ve come.

Starting at the beginning:

I initially wanted a Ford Ranger, but because this was going to be my daily driver and knowing that I have a growing family, the poor excuse for a backseat in the Ranger just wouldn’t cut it. Started looking at the Sport Tracs, but that just wasn’t doing it for me, either. I remembered the Xterra from a few years back, and that I’ve wanted one since I first saw one when I was about 15. Must have been the ’02 model. This thing pretty much covered everything I needed – daily driver, ample space for people & stuff, and with my off-roading experience, it was a perfect fit.

Found the perfect one in Florida – a 2002 XE 4x4 with 80K miles – so I flew down from Michigan and drove her back home.

As soon as I got back, I drove up north to the ORV trails and found out what it was (easily) capable of, but nothing too crazy.

Since then, I’ve only done a few things (including survival of Windrock / Coal Creek at nXm2, bone stock).

Everything I’ve done so far:

• K&N drop-in filter
  • Rear sway bar removal
  • Side rail removal (thanks to Tim on the trail!)
  • Repainted trim
Front before:

Front after:

Rear before:

Rear after:

• New tires – BFG Rugged Terrain on stock wheels
  • Popped a clevis into the hitch receiver, had tow hooks welded onto the front-end frame
  • Made a LOBO rack using two carabiners & two Husky Hang-All straps

• New battery
  • Installed B&M lightbar, just waiting to order some lights
  • Fire extinguisher installation
  • Auxiliary input mod to stock stereo
  • Front brakes & rotors
  • PML is next on the list; just got the shackles in the mail!
  • Oh, and I might paint my stock wheels. Thanks to a friend’s mad photoshop skills, I got a sneak peek at what it would look like:

Still on the fence, but we'll see.

I like the stock look of this truck, so any mod I do will be trying to keep that mindset of keeping things clean-cut with that OEM feel (albeit very capable). The Terradactyl is my ZRUV – Zombie Response Utility Vehicle; my adventure-mobile, my daily driver, and I will drive it until it dies (and then I’ll revive it and drive it some more!)

As it sits today:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
X2 on the revive it and drive it some more lol.

I say go for it Bedlining the X's rims are the way to go. I will let My Xterra speak for itself.

P.S my Xterra almost has the same pose so your Photoshopping friend may be able take mine and put them on yours. His are just a tad bit to dark making them almost un-natural which is probably why your still on the fence ;D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P.S my Xterra almost has the same pose so your Photoshopping friend may be able take mine and put them on yours. His are just a tad bit to dark making them almost un-natural which is probably why your still on the fence ;D
Hahahaha that's awesome, I'll have to let him give it a whirl.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, Sundays.

Knocked a few things out today:

1. Power washer + spray paint = good looking spare tire. I dropped it down from underneath the truck and saw that the tire was bald and the wheel was rusty, so I had a new(er) tire mounted and cleaned it up. Then it was time to move it to the roof rack (so much for garage clearance...) but it will have to do until I get my low-profile cargo basket.

2. In another attempt to fit into my garage, I installed an Xoskel lightbar. It looks great, and I'm excited to order my PIAA lights.

3. Oil change & bath.

4. Bilsteins are en route!

5. Thinking about cutting holes in the bumper to mount rear recovery points and D-rings...? Hmmm. I like the way it looks, but I think the clevis in my hitch + two additional D-rings might be a little excessive ;)

·
Registered
951 Posts
niiiiiiiice man, I'm a big fan of the xoskel bar. It's turning out real good, keep it up!

And as far as excessive, I think the more recovery points the better. And then you have the option of removing the hitch for a better break over angle if you have other recovery points

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
niiiiiiiice man, I'm a big fan of the xoskel bar. It's turning out real good, keep it up!

And as far as excessive, I think the more recovery points the better. And then you have the option of removing the hitch for a better break over angle if you have other recovery points
Thanks!

Since I've posted this, I've been trying to figure out the best way to do the rear recovery points. I like the idea more & more. Although I'd keep my hitch in case I need to tow anything. Looks like I'd just rock 3 D-rings ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oooh...

Super excited to get the mounts for these welded on.

Then it's off to rescue Hummers!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you're rescuing hummers don't forget 2 things 1. pictures 2. laugh like heck [got to stay pg] while doing it.
Hahaha I will definitely remember both of those. Can't wait to bag my first one ;)

Get yourself an "H2 Recovery Unit" sticker for your back window too. :p

Already ordering one! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Looks good Brian! I say paint the wheels black! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Tim!

Added some Creepy horsepower today:

Really diggin' the mountain decal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How did you mod an aux port into the stock stereo? I like your build so far, pretty similar to what I am looking to do after I take care of the engine problems I am having, and seeing that you painted the stock rims gave me a good insight as to what mine will look like. Keep it up, and please let me know how you got an aux on the stock stereo

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did you mod an aux port into the stock stereo? I like your build so far, pretty similar to what I am looking to do after I take care of the engine problems I am having, and seeing that you painted the stock rims gave me a good insight as to what mine will look like. Keep it up, and please let me know how you got an aux on the stock stereo
Thanks!

Actually, as far as the rims go...I'm still on the fence. That was just a photoshop rendering of what my truck would look like with the stock rims painted.

The auxiliary input was done using this write-up:

http://www.higherground4x4.com/xterra_aux-in_1.htm

Had a buddy help and it took less than 1/2 an hour. We actually hid the inputs behind the stereo bezel so it can't be seen. All I have is the auxiliary cable coming out:

Ka-boom. Auxiliary input with stock stereo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the write up, looks like I've got my Sunday job lined up this week, along painting plastics maybe, do any of you guys recommend a certain brand for painting plastics that will last awhile,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts