Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I'm not new to wrenching by any stretch but absolutely new to xTerra and had a few questions I was hoping to get some direction for ...

1. Planning on using 35's (or whatever the equivalent is ... sorry I'm transferring from Wrangler community :) ) - what size of lift should I be looking at?
2. What are other mods/changes are necessary to install/make to accommodate 35's?
3. Other than Rough Country, what other manufacturers out there that make offroading components for xTerras?

That's it for now ... thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
35s are gonna take A LOT. Cutting or removing fenders just to start. probably need an SAS to really fit and flex them. 33s can fit with a 2" BL and a pml (poor mans lift). AC (automotive customizers) a.k.a 4X4parts.com make a lot of good parts. Calmini has some items. Everything thing else is usually part specific. IE grassroots for a centerlink. shrockworks, white knuckle for armor. Lockers are from ARB or LOKKA. there are several other companies I was just naming the most popular.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
What year X?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Eyeballing anything from 2002 to 2007
totally different animal from 2002-2004 and 2005-2007. On the first, 35s are a no unless you SAS. Search around if you want to know why. It can be done with a body lift and suspension lift and some metal trimming on the second.

does xterra need axles re-gearing with 33's/35's?
Not with 33s but yes you should with 35s.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up a White 2006 today ... here goes the money :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If I'm installing a 2.5" lift from Rough Country ... am I going to need adjustable track bar for the rear axle as well or the original will work fine?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
If I'm installing a 2.5" lift from Rough Country ... am I going to need adjustable track bar for the rear axle as well or the original will work fine?
As you're new to IFS and the X in general:

Jack up one end at a time, and watch what parts do what, and, what are the limiting factors you notice as you raise it...IE: What has to be disco'd loosened, to allow more travel...for each break point.

The arc the track bars follow needs to mirror the arc of the rest of the suspension (drag link for example), or the bars will pull on the suspension as it cycles.

For ride height (Sitting level in p lot, etc...), when you raise the frame up from the suspension/axles...the stuff connecting them to each other needs to "get longer" to still reach w/o pulling.

The rear has leaves...so the leaves themselves are what position the rear axle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do I need to replace the cam bolts as well? I'm assuming I'll have to do wheel alignment after kit installation anyways ...

As you're new to IFS and the X in general:

Jack up one end at a time, and watch what parts do what, and, what are the limiting factors you notice as you raise it...IE: What has to be disco'd loosened, to allow more travel...for each break point.

The arc the track bars follow needs to mirror the arc of the rest of the suspension (drag link for example), or the bars will pull on the suspension as it cycles.

For ride height (Sitting level in p lot, etc...), when you raise the frame up from the suspension/axles...the stuff connecting them to each other needs to "get longer" to still reach w/o pulling.

The rear has leaves...so the leaves themselves are what position the rear axle.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Some 2005+ X's came with adjustable cam bolts etc....some came with fixed, but, replaceable with adjustables.

As they can rust weld and need to be replaced anyway, I'd get a set of adj replacements before taking anything apart.

When you change the ride height (Lift), you change the alignment, and, to compensate, you need to realign it.

On IFS for example, the front arms swing in and down as you raise the ride height.

As the arms swing in, it tips the upper end of the tire to the outboard side...so the tire is riding more on its outer edges...and the new alignment pulls the tops of the tires inboard more to get it planted again, etc.

The toe and camber is also proportionally impacted, and, compensated for, and so forth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How drastic of change of the driveline angle the 2.5" lift makes? Should I get the shims for the axle as well? the 2" suspension kit for my old YJ had those in ... It didn't remove the vibration completely but took care of its part nonetheless ... The 2"/2.5" xTerra kits don't have it at all ... just makes me wonder ...

Some 2005+ X's came with adjustable cam bolts etc....some came with fixed, but, replaceable with adjustables.

As they can rust weld and need to be replaced anyway, I'd get a set of adj replacements before taking anything apart.

When you change the ride height (Lift), you change the alignment, and, to compensate, you need to realign it.

On IFS for example, the front arms swing in and down as you raise the ride height.

As the arms swing in, it tips the upper end of the tire to the outboard side...so the tire is riding more on its outer edges...and the new alignment pulls the tops of the tires inboard more to get it planted again, etc.

The toe and camber is also proportionally impacted, and, compensated for, and so forth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well ... judging by the outcome of 5 hours spent installing the kit no shims were needed but I should have installed the new RC lower arm adjustable bolts I bought ... original ones are not adjustable . Now I have to spend another 4 or so hours to deal with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts