Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, my 2003 xterra 3.3 automatic timing belt grenaded the other day while on the freeway. How can I tell if my valves got bent before I spend mucho d'nero on the parts to fix the belt? or is there a way?

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
A leak down test will confirm this but it’s much easier to perform this with the belt on

·
Registered
494 Posts
A leak down test will confirm this but it’s much easier to perform this with the belt on
Question: with these Gen 1 3.3 motors, can you pull the valve covers without removing major parts from the intake/center of the motor? I would want to be looking at the valve train but don't know what's in the way of doing that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you do that, might as well pull the intake and replace everything under it as well as replacing everything on the front of the motor while changing the timing belt. This way you would have a pretty new motor with exception of inside the block itself, cylinders and bearings. If you have the time and the mula that would not be a bad way to go...

·
Registered
494 Posts
if you do that, might as well pull the intake and replace everything under it as well as replacing everything on the front of the motor while changing the timing belt. This way you would have a pretty new motor with exception of inside the block itself, cylinders and bearings. If you have the time and the mula that would not be a bad way to go...
Right you are. I expect a 2003 might need a refresh under the hood.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whoooowe... gotter done. So, the story is, I was driving down the freeway going about 68, minding my own business when the engine just died, great, so I coasted to the side of the road. I didn't try to start it thanks to what I learned from this site figuring it was a broken timing belt. Under the hood there is a Gates belt sticker like someone had changed the belt previously to me owning it. There was no date or mileage on the sticker but with 197975 miles on it I figured may have been replaced, read on. So I ordered a kit with a H2O pump, new belts, tensioner, a bag of cat litter, etc. It took me most of the day on saturday to get it all apart. The first problem is the radiator fluid, where the hell is the friggin drain plug. Well after undoing the bottom hose trying to be cognoscente of what could and did happen I ended up getting soaked, damn it. read on.
so I pull everything off and see the broken belt with all kinds of black oily fuzz inside the belt housings. Looked to me this thing has never been replaced and it went 197975 miles, go figure. All the parts were original including the H2O pump.
Now to the good stuff. I did find a drain screw, it's dead center on the bottom of the radiator. You will have to cut a good sized hole in the rubber flashing or shield bellow the bottom of the radiator, unscrew it slowly, most likely you will get drenched, but hey, at least try. After I found that I put in a piece of pipe and a cap that sticks out, if some pour bastard or myself need to get at it again.
The crank bolt, I used an 1 1/16" socket on a break bar, layed it across the DRIVERS side frame and bumped the starter, broke it rite loose slicker n a eel...
There are a lot screws with these thick hard rubber washers holding on the belt cover plate, pay attention to where they go as they are different lengths also the rubber gets real hard and will break.
I was worried about the valves being bent so instead of putting in the radiator and hooking it all up then firing it up I cut a piece of hose for the tranny cooler lines and bypassed the radiator, didn't bother with antifreeze as I was only going to see if it started which to my amazement it did and purred like a kitten then shut it off after about 8 seconds.
Make sure you have the timing marks on the 2 cams lined up, make sure your rotor is before TDC #1 cylinder, pull the #1 plug and put a dowel in it to make sure you are at TDC. Slide on the tensioner, slide on the belt, make sure there is no sag from missing a tooth. The cams can be finicky, they may want to spring one way or another just try to line it up and don't mess with it. Then put it all back together.
Total time for me was 10 hours and 6 gin tonics which isn't bad. It started up first touch of the key and runs like a top...
Thank You Club XTERRA for all the help. I definitely cruised the site for info...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts