Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a weired problem with my brake system on my 2005 Xterra SE and wanted to get some advice from you. I had a caliper fail and repalced it along with a mster cylinder since the pedal was soft. Ever since my brake pedal has been soft. The car stops normally, though when you come to a complete stop and push the pedal even more, then it hits the foor.... though its not ver very soft but can easaly hit the floor...so i took it a the dealer after i did bleed the brakes (disconnect batter and etc as the manual says) to have the dealer look at it. they said of course air in the line, so i had them bleed the brakes. they did, but the problem was still there and they told me it was the master cylinder. they said its an aftermarket one and they recommend to put in a nissan one. so i replaced the master cylinder twice from advanceauto were i got it, though same problem with the pedal...

now i got the nissan one and about to install it, thouigh wanted to check with you guys for any recomendations as i cant return the nissan one back after i use it....i just hope it is the master sylinder issue, and maybe the ones from auto part stores are just crap.

you think its still a master cylinder or just the brake pedal should be the way it is....? or another problem instead?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
Bench bleed it first. Bleed every single corner too.

Reactions: kms1990

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idid bench bleed it every time i replaced the MC. I installed the Nissan MC and stil lthe same problem, so taking it back to nissan today to see what is wrong with it (if they ever find the real problem)....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Left my X there yeterday morning, and got a call this morning saying they were going to bleed it but they cant break the bleeding screws lose. Therfore, their may be achnace of breaking them and need new calipers. Bottom point is, they cant find the problem and their excuse now is new calipers since teh MC is a Nissan one now.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idid bench bleed it every time i replaced the MC. I installed the Nissan MC and stil lthe same problem, so taking it back to nissan today to see what is wrong with it (if they ever find the real problem)....
for those who fight with the spongy breaks on your exes, and related: before you spend shit load of time and kids’ education funds figuring out what the hell is wrong with the brakes, grab 14mm wrench, go under the steering wheel, undo the set nut on the brake booster’s push rod and extend it a bit. just a tiny bit first, otherwise you’ll end up cooking your brake pads, rotors, callipers, etc. test drive safety. it worked magic with my 08. took 4 days, sunburn, a lot of nice words, bunch of beers, being awfully quiet, youtube, here reading, and coincidence to find it out, after redoing almost the entire brake system. wear and tear reason in my case. hope that helps all. cheers!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
for those who fight with the spongy breaks on your exes, and related: before you spend shit load of time and kids’ education funds figuring out what the hell is wrong with the brakes, grab 14mm wrench, go under the steering wheel, undo the set nut on the brake booster’s push rod and extend it a bit. just a tiny bit first, otherwise you’ll end up cooking your brake pads, rotors, callipers, etc. test drive safety. it worked magic with my 08. took 4 days, sunburn, a lot of nice words, bunch of beers, being awfully quiet, youtube, here reading, and coincidence to find it out, after redoing almost the entire brake system. wear and tear reason in my case. hope that helps all. cheers!
yup this is a known thing with the 2nd gen x's not sure why seems to affect us more than frontiers this was exactly what i was going to suggest he do, but you beat me lol. i need to do it on mine as my 2011 has a bit of a soft pedal, but stops really well and i have no issues with stop distances or times so just been too busy elsewhere to take time to do this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts