Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 3.3 SE 4wd auto
My one of the driver side brake caliper slide pins froze up pretty good. Obviously the pad wore very unevenly. With some PB blaster and a torque wrench I got the pin free.

Question: Would you...
A. Sand/wire brush the pin, grease it up and re-use it?
B. Replace just the pin?
C. Replace the whole bracket with pin included?
Wondering what the best option would be...

Also do you think this would cause any damage to the caliper pistons or should it be good?

·
Registered
2003, Xterra XE, 4x4, manual trans
13 Posts
Recently did this job for a similar reason. I replaced the slide pins and rubber seals. Use the correct lube for the pins. Good luck !

·
Registered
845 Posts
2001 3.3 SE 4wd auto
My one of the driver side brake caliper slide pins froze up pretty good. Obviously the pad wore very unevenly. With some PB blaster and a torque wrench I got the pin free.

Question: Would you...
A. Sand/wire brush the pin, grease it up and re-use it?
B. Replace just the pin?
C. Replace the whole bracket with pin included?
Wondering what the best option would be...

Also do you think this would cause any damage to the caliper pistons or should it be good?
I like selection "A". CRC sells a nice small bottle of grease specific to lubricating brake caliper parts.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Inspect the hole in the caliper as well. If the pin was corroded in place then the hole in which it slides into may also be corroded. Even though you can get the pin out and clean up the hole, it will have less material and the pin may fit more loosely resulting in more side to side slop. A number of years ago I had the same issue on my Frontier. One pin could not be removed and on the other caliper the pin came out, but I opted to replace that caliper as well due to the corrosion in the hole. Ultimately the decision will depend on the state of the entire caliper and your judgement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts