Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is new ground for me so hoping I can get some input from you guys. I've got an 04 X and wanted to put 33" tires on. My question is can I get away with just doing a 2-3" body lift or is a suspension lift needed

·
Registered
816 Posts
2" body lift and some minor trimming of plastic and you can run 33"s

Mine when it only had 2" body lift........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I'm wanting...33's...yours looks badass. I was hoping I could get away with just a body lift. Thanks man

·
Registered
43 Posts
2" body lift and some minor trimming of plastic and you can run 33"s

Mine when it only had 2" body lift........

It a Body Lift different than a rear shackle and front torsion bar lift kit? I'm guessing it is. But why do one over the other? What are the benefits or drawbacks of each?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
It a Body Lift different than a rear shackle and front torsion bar lift kit? I'm guessing it is. But why do one over the other? What are the benefits or drawbacks of each?
A body lift uses insert spacers to raise the body up at the body mounts.

A rear shackle lifts the frame with a longer shackle, and a torsion bar lift doesn't need a kit, its just rotating the torsion bars to a higher ride height using the X's built-in adjusters.

A BL is to make room for taller tires by raising the fenders/wheel wells up out of the way. Removing the fenders, etc, works the same way.

AN SL (T-bar/shackles) is a SUSPENSION Lift, and it makes the suspension hold the frame up higher off the ground.

If used for tire clearance, an SL will compress when you brake, corner, or go over a bump, etc...and the extra tire room goes where your lap goes when you stand up.

IE: The BL makes room for the tires, and an SL makes room for the tires at ride height.

So, for tire room, you do a BL.

If you want the frame higher, do an SL.

If you want more articulation, do an SL with longer shocks, and so forth.

Most of us do BOTH an SL and BL....to get the best of both.

>:D

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I have a 1st Generation Xterra and am not finding a shackle lift for this year, 2003 Xterra. Do you know where I could find one similiar to this particular kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Front-2-R...ash=item3aa6529fde:g:heUAAOSwA4dWHQ05&vxp=mtr

Is there a tutorial or a How To on cranking the torsion bars up front? I've never done or see this done before.

Michael

www.4x4parts.com

Shackles lift the rear via suspension.

2000 - 2004 X's use the same shackles....they are interchangeable.

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981171-xterra-adjustable-lift-shackles.html

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981298-xterra-rear-lift-shackles.html

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981295-xterra-revolver-shackles.html

For example.

For each added inch in length over stock, the shackles provide 1/2" of lift.

OEM = 3", so a 6" shackle gives 1.5" of lift over stock, and so forth.

How to PML: (T-bars and shackles)

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37167

Again - If its to fit 33's, you want to do a 2-3" BL.

Adding a 1.5" suspension lift for the cost of the shackles and getting a new wheel alignment, is a no brainer for most, so adding it to the BL gets you a killer combo.

The 2005+ X's have coils in front, so they use coil spacers or taller coils for front lift.

2000 - 2004 X's have t-bars, and, nifty built-in ride height adjusters...so, front lift is free up to ~ 1.5".

If you want OVER ~ 1.5" of front lift, then you need to add new upper control arms (UCA) that will allow wheel alignment at higher ride heights...and you use the built-in adjusters to then (THEN) add another 1.5" of front lift, to a max of ~ 3" over stock.

The BL lift has nothing to do with the above lift. You do the BL to make room for the tires...a separate issue from the suspension lift.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another question. The link I posted to the Ebay product has the front shock mount spacer included. Do I need that to lift the front? What benefit is it?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Another question. The link I posted to the Ebay product has the front shock mount spacer included. Do I need that to lift the front? What benefit is it?
As described...the 2005+ X's (ebay link) have a 100% different suspension in front.

How high a suspension lift did you want, and, is it for off roading, looking taller in a mall p-lot, etc?

If its for tire clearance, you want a BL or to remove fenders, etc...as that's what a BL, etc is for.

The suspension lifts are for frame clearance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm trying to keep this lift thing cheap. I would eventually like to run 18" with 33's for occasional offroading, nothing too serious. So that's my end goal and I want it to look more aggressive at the same time but not go so overboard that I don't want to drive the thing daily.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I'm trying to keep this lift thing cheap. I would eventually like to run 18" with 33's for occasional offroading, nothing too serious. So that's my end goal and I want it to look more aggressive at the same time but not go so overboard that I don't want to drive the thing daily.
18"?

If off roading with 33's, an 18" rim is a horrible choice.

It doesn't leave enough sidewall height to work well off road.

You want cheap, and only mention tire clearance, so, just do a DIYS BL for ~ $100 or so and mount the 33's on the stock rims and call it a day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not talking rock crawling with the 18's. I'm talking some jeep trails and 4x4 trails. My brother runs 18/33s on his lifted Toyota Fj and they work just fine and have the correct look I want.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I'm not talking rock crawling with the 18's. I'm talking some jeep trails and 4x4 trails. My brother runs 18/33s on his lifted Toyota Fj and they work just fine and have the correct look I want.
LOL

Great...

TWO Mall Crawlers.

:D

Wouldn't you like YOUR rig to out perform they Toy?

What about 17" as a compromise?

·
Registered
816 Posts
18's?
Hell I wanna move down to 15's.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts