Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks
I’m a new member. I’m the original owner of a sweet yellow 2001 Xterra SE 3.3L V6 with 140,000 miles on her. After being trouble free for about 17 years, I’ve suffered a number of failures over the past year. She currently sits in the shop with a blown head gasket. The trouble started Friday evening as I was headed home from work. It was slow to start, valves were apparently flooded with a mixture of oil and coolant, spewing heavy white, sweet-smelling smoke from the tailpipe. Over the weekend I checked the oil and coolant which were both full, but coolant in the reservoir was dark. The oil filler cap was fairly clean. In just a few minutes, I got it to the closest auto parts store but lost compression on the way and temp gauge maxed out. Ran their diagnostic computer, showing error codes P1217, P0217, P1126, and P0300. I shut off the engine and opened the hood. It spewed white, sweet-smelling smoke from the tailpipe for 15 minutes, with tea-colored liquid dripping from the tail pipe. The inside of the oil fillet cap had in that short time accumulated a gummy residue of coolant.

The shop quotes $3,200 for the following:
  • Replace gasket
  • Machine the head
  • Replace water pump
  • Replace timing belt
  • New plugs (brand new as of December 2018)
  • Replace thermostat
  • Can’t recall if they are proposing transfusion of transmission fluid
  • New valve covers and bolts
  • 16 hours of labor

So I’m trying to make decisions. I understand that replacement of some of the items is standard. The timing belt has to be removed to open the head. Other parts may have been effected by the overheating. Others are near their life span (water pump?) at that mileage and should be replaced out of prudence.

I have some questions:
  • The body is cherry. It looks great! Is there a market for a body in sweet condition?
  • If so, what’s the value?
  • Is there a web group/site that facilitates donor body sales?
  • How much for a rebuilt engine with 3-year/100,000 mi warranty?
  • Is there much hope the transmission will last 100K mi more?
  • Is there a reliable place to estimate value of the vehicle once repaired? If I shell out $3,200 and it’s only worth about that after the repair, that seems like foolishness.
  • I have four new Michelin LTX tires with about 4,000 mi. on them. Any thoughts on how to sell them off?

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
505 Posts
I don’t have much experience compared to others on here, but a used engine, maybe a JDM imported or a junkyard engine with decent miles sounds to be way cheaper than all of that. Unless I was doing all of that work myself to save money, I’d seriously consider a new engine. Don’t know much about warranties on a rebuilt though, but they’ll probably run a lot more money than finding a used one. Best of luck to you! I dread the day that happens so I’m always scouring the internet searching for replacements so I’d be interested to hear what happens with you

·
Registered
90 Posts
AutoZone has remanufactured engine for about $3,600 with a 3-year warranty. you could probably find remanufactured engines similar for about the same price they're quoting you. Of course then you'll have additional stuff to worry about fluids, installation, hoses, might as well due to motor mounts while it's out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AutoZone has remanufactured engine for about $3,600 with a 3-year warranty. you could probably find remanufactured engines similar for about the same price they're quoting you. Of course then you'll have additional stuff to worry about fluids, installation, hoses, might as well due to motor mounts while it's out.
Hey guys. I just realized I haven't thanked you for the advice you gave me a year ago with my head gasket situation. I went forth and had the work done. I appreciate all the assistance. It made me feel better about shelling out the dollars.

(I've had my share of troubles since then, but nothing so disturbing as the head gasket, with its white smoke that smelled of burning antifreeze - yikes)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts