Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Doing a PML (or partial suspension lift) is easy and takes a few hours. I would suggest searching in the how to section for a little more info. But best way to start.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Imposer of Justice
365 Posts
It could be partially preference, but a lot of people end up doing both. The idea is that if you are using a suspension lift you gain ground clearance and travel. If you are using a body lift then you have more room for larger tires. If I were you I would start with a simple suspension lift (2-3") and see how you like that. If it doesn't seem to be high enough for you then you could add a BL. Suspension to me has more benefits because you're upgrading your suspension, gaining ground clearance, and improving your ride. Body lifts are doing just that, they are lifting the body. The only real benefit is tire sizes. I would look at ARB OME(Old Man Emu), very strong suspension, I currently have it on my Pro-4X, and I wouldn't give it up for anything else. Also since you have an older suspension on there now it would benefit you to replace it. They make the front and rear shocks, front coils, and rear AAL's or full leaf packs which would replace your leaf springs and give you at least two inches of lift. They pay a lot of attention to detail with their products to make sure they will fit perfectly with factory settings, so no additional mods or parts would be needed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The question is what size tire do you want to run? Do you feel comfortable trimming things to fit?

After 11 years your original suspension is more than likely a little soft and could use some attention. Take a look at a 3 inch suspension lift from either Calmini or AC. Both lifts are high quality and would give you years of service.

·
Imposer of Justice
365 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ditto on the PML (poor mans lift) sometimes it can be a bit more money than a BL but about a 3rd of the time! It's a 1.5" lift... It seemed like my X was a foot taller when I did it but now that I'm used to it I want more lift!

There is a thread on before and after pics of PML somewhere...

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was originally looking into a 3" SL, but after reading and looking at a lot of other builds on here i see lots of people with BL so i wanted to make sure there wasn't any other benefit to it other than jus the tire clearance. The PML only lifts the back though right?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
While the body lift allows for larger tires, the suspension lift gives you better articulation. So when I asked what size tire that you want to run, if a 32 is the tire that you want then a PML or SL would work just fine. If you want a 33 then a SL with some trimming, or a Body lift. If you want larger than 33's then you are looking at a BL, and a SL with lots of trimming, or a solid front axle with a spring over in the back.

The differences between the first and second gens makes comparing the two suspensions almost pointless. While the second gens have a coil spring the first gens have torsion bars.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would prob start out with a PML and BL then eventually piece together the rest of the SL

·
Registered
988 Posts
I need to find some new tires, i run 265/70/15's im not sure how much bigger i can get or want to go right now, but if i do want to go bigger and need the BL i would do it. I'm only asking now cause i'm banking on a tax return and need to spend it on something...
You are currently running ~30" tires, 29.6" specifically. You can run up to 32" tires without having to do a body lift, although you may rub a little at full turn (I rub a bit with 31.6" tires).

33" rubber will require a body lift and/or significant trimming up front.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are currently running ~30" tires, 29.6" specifically. You can run up to 32" tires without having to do a body lift, although you may rub a little at full turn (I rub a bit with 31.6" tires).

33" rubber will require a body lift and/or significant trimming up front.
Thanks man i was trying to do all the conversions and math last night to figure that out, but i hate math. so thank you!

·
Registered
988 Posts
The tire size calculator link in my signature is really helpful by the way. Lets you easily compare metric sizes to determine the difference in height, width, etc...

·
It was always fumbles
13,000 Posts
Here is the thing... Form a plan.. If you may head down the way of lifting I'd go 32s or 33" tires.. Tires are the best performance mod you can do.. Every one that buys smaller tires regret it quick.. Nether the BL or PML are very hard.. A BL can be pieced together for 70$
Takes about 4 hours to do.. The PML can be done in 2 hours..
Nether hurt your Xterra at all.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the thing... Form a plan.. If you may head down the way of lifting I'd go 32s or 33" tires.. Tires are the best performance mod you can do.. Every one that buys smaller tires regret it quick.. Nether the BL or PML are very hard.. A BL can be pieced together for 70$
Takes about 4 hours to do.. The PML can be done in 2 hours..
Nether hurt your Xterra at all.
i love how cut and dry your response are in threads, thanks. i'll start trying to piece things together. Like i said at the end of the year is when i'll probably buy tires.

·
It was always fumbles
13,000 Posts
i love how cut and dry your response are in threads, thanks. i'll start trying to piece things together. Like i said at the end of the year is when i'll probably buy tires.
Sorry about how dry that was.. When Im on my phone I feel sorta rushed to answer these so I may come off a bit dry :D

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry about how dry that was.. When Im on my phone I feel sorta rushed to answer these so I may come off a bit dry :D
No dont worry about it, i appreciate the cut dry this is how you do it answer. Makes understanding easier.

:thumbsup-big:

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
Really Blue? 35s? Damn it I need to finish my SL LOL
Yea! I want to go w/ 35s as soon as I take the plates off of BlueX and trailer her. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts