1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SC MT Beasty, 3" lift kit
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow CX'rs,
hope all is good!

Riding Gen1.5 with 3" suspension lift kit from 4x4parts, the one which have yellow/blue Bilsteins boths front and rear (incl custom upper A-arms). Now one front shock need to be replaced, so the questions is: stay with 4600 Bilsteins or go for 5100 ? From what I googled I understood that 5100 is designed for heavier trucks like F250/350, which are at least 800kg-1200kg heavier (approx 1500-2500 lb), so 5100's could be too stiff for Xterra.

Any other options / brands which you may used or may heard of ?

Thanks,
Irakli

Attaching photo just to attract your attention :giggle:

·
Registered
01 Xterra 4x4
59 Posts
The 5100's are made specific for the Xterra, as long as you order the correct ones. I have them and they work great. You may have to wait awhile to get a set, however. I waited 3 or 4 months for all my suspension parts to come in. I have not run the 4600's but from what I've read on here and other forums, the 4600's are more street oriented, 5100's are more offroad focused.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the post. May I ask you if you have 5100 indeed on the front of your 01 Xterra ? and if you have any extra weight on your truck like front winch, rigid offroad bumper or heavy roofrack/tent ? I have rigid bumper and planning to get a winch at some point, which makes me hesitate between well known 4600 setup and challenging 5100 way...:unsure:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To counter more weight on the truck you should look into the HD torsion bars. Springs deal with the extra weight shock absorbers dampen motion.
Yes you are correct about functional description, but static weight counts too for dampen motion. Less weight (less impulse or inertia) might no let shock to travel as it supposed, overall result wil be rigid suspension and more striking load on ball joints, arms, etc
Opposite, more weight on too soft shock will cause extra travel to the dead end positions, nearly same effect on static elementa of the chassis when shock travels to the end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 5100's are made specific for the Xterra, as long as you order the correct ones. I have them and they work
The 5100's are made specific for the Xterra, as long as you order the correct ones. I have them and they work great.
Do you know PN or particular product ID u use in your rig ?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,733 Posts
Yes you are correct about functional description, but static weight counts too for dampen motion. Less weight (less impulse or inertia) might no let shock to travel as it supposed, overall result wil be rigid suspension and more striking load on ball joints, arms, etc
Opposite, more weight on too soft shock will cause extra travel to the dead end positions, nearly same effect on static elementa of the chassis when shock travels to the end.
The heavier the unsprung weight (wheels, axles, etc.), the more you will need a shock that is stronger to control it. The weight of the bumper and other accessories do not count as unsprung weight.

You could have a slab of lead (Pb) that weighs 100,ooo kilograms (220,ooo pounds) and wheels made of helium (H), and all you'd need to control them is the tiniest shocks in the world. However, to support that massive weight, you'd need some massive springs.

This is obviously an exaggerated example. When the slab of lead accelerates, decelerates, or goes around turns, then you depend on the shocks to help slow the motion of the body, not the unsprung weight. But most of that is managed by the springs and sway bars, not the shocks. The same is true for your vehicle.

Taken from edmunds.com, the approximate curb weight of my Gen1 2004 Xterra is 4075 lbs (1850 kg), max payload 1003 lbs (456 kg), gross weight 5200 lbs (2360 kg). When you hang a bumper off the front that is 220 lbs (100 kg), that's only a 5% addition to the sprung weight, so the shocks don't have that much more to do than when it has the stock bumper on it.

Consider your shock choices based on unsprung weight, not what's hanging off either end or loaded in the middle.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,733 Posts
Also take into account that you have 1003 lbs of total additional weight to add to the vehicle. That bumper is included in that, so weigh the new one, subtract the weight of the old one, and that's how much you're adding to the vehicle's new curb weight, and how much less groceries you can carry.

·
Registered
01 Xterra 4x4
59 Posts
Thanks for the post. May I ask you if you have 5100 indeed on the front of your 01 Xterra ? and if you have any extra weight on your truck like front winch, rigid offroad bumper or heavy roofrack/tent ? I have rigid bumper and planning to get a winch at some point, which makes me hesitate between well known 4600 setup and challenging 5100 way...:unsure:
I have 5100's on the front and rear. I do not have any extra weight, no aftermarket bumpers or a winch. I have purposely not added weight because any extra weight is going to negatively affect the performance and gas mileage. I use my X mainly for getting up into the mountains here in Utah. No heavy duty rock crawling -- yet. I do want to go out to Moab at some point and try some of the medium difficulty stuff.

·
Registered
01 Xterra 4x4
59 Posts
Do you know PN or particular product ID u use in your rig ?
Unfortunately, I do not have the part numbers on hand. I purchased them through 4x4 parts. They had them listed for first gen Xterras. Bear in mind, it looks like they only order a certain amount at a time. While they are listed on the web site, they may be out of stock. I had to wait a couple of months for mine to come in. I think the 4600s are available on ebay, so if you're not able to wait, they may be a better choice. But I'm very happy with the 5100s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts