Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD V6 manual transmission 133k miles
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed Alcan springs and new Bilstein 4600s on the X. Job went great except for this:

I had trouble getting the bushing onto the post, and being both inexperienced and stupid, I sprayed a touch of lubrication in there hoping it would slide on better. Instead, it seems like the shock slid off the bushing some and now I have this bulge on the left side and metal contact on the right.

Do any of you experienced, smart Xterra owners have any suggestions as how to correct this situation? I haven't driven it yet, but I'm guessing its going to sound awful the way it is.

·
Registered
959 Posts
So I just installed Alcan springs and new Bilstein 4600s on the X. Job went great except for this: View attachment 77428
I had trouble getting the bushing onto the post, and being both inexperienced and stupid, I sprayed a touch of lubrication in there hoping it would slide on better. Instead, it seems like the shock slid off the bushing some and now I have this bulge on the left side and metal contact on the right.

Do any of you experienced, smart Xterra owners have any suggestions as how to correct this situation? I haven't driven it yet, but I'm guessing its going to sound awful the way it is.
From what I see, I would disconnect that end of the shock from the mount and swing it clear so you could use a separate bolt, washers and nut to squeeze that rubber bushing back in to position inside the shock end.

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD V6 manual transmission 133k miles
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the weird thing is when I disconnect it the bushing kinda deforms back to normal. So what I ended up doing is flipping the end around and filing and smoothing down the bolt it was mounting on (it was pretty chunked up and corroded). I still have a little bulge on the left side, but there isn't any metal to metal contact on the right anymore.

·
Registered
959 Posts
the weird thing is when I disconnect it the bushing kinda deforms back to normal. So what I ended up doing is flipping the end around and filing and smoothing down the bolt it was mounting on (it was pretty chunked up and corroded). I still have a little bulge on the left side, but there isn't any metal to metal contact on the right anymore.
Sounds like you got it figured out in good order. I little light grease on the through bolt would likely keep the rubber bushing from binding also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts