Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Bike rack dilemma

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mathster 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I joined your group last week and have been enjoying all the topics of discussion on the site. I just bought a 2012 pro 4x last week and I love it more already then the subaru outback I traded in for the X. So from the title of this post, this is my question and dilemma. On my outback , i had a yakima roof rack that I had no problem throwing my mountain bike onto the roof of, but the X is SOOO much higher, I just dont think that even with a 2 step stepstool, I'd even be able to get it up there, and much less fit the X in my garage with the bike rack attached which would be a huge pain to take it on and off everytime I wanted to bring the bike someplace.
I'm towing a small A-liner camper that does have a 2 inch receiver on the rear bumper but from what i've been told from the Aliner camper forum, there have been many people that the welds broke on the receiver hitch that is welded onto the rear bumper of the camper and have destroyed bikes and camper bumpers from bouncing down the highway.
So, a couple options i've come up with is a front receiver hitch on the X and mount a bike rack on that. I am concerned with losing clearance on the front though with that plan. Secondly, I thought i saw a picture on here of someone that had their bike inside the X with the seats folded down and the front tire off. I have not tried this yet to see if it would fit that way, but I really dont want to take up my trunk area with a bike on a long trip if i can help it.
And then lastly, my final option would be to get an over the back hatch bike rack, but the drawback with that one is, I cant open the back hatch without removing the bike.
So, i'm not really happy with any of my choices as to carry my bike while towing the camper.
What would you guys do and do you have any photos of bikes actually IN the cargo area of the truck itself?

Thanks for a great site and i'll be checking in quite often,
A VERY happy X owner,
Erik
:wahrsager-big:

See less See more
#3 ·
I made an internal bike rack for my Pro4x that is very similar to the factory rack. Bikes will fit, but there are a few issues. If you are a taller person, or you have a larger framed bike your seat will rub the roof. You will either have to lower the seat (which I can't stand to do), or you will have to let a bit of air out of your rear tire. Another issue is the roof seatbelt mount for the rear center seat on the left side. It lowers the roof even more, so if you have clearance problems on the right side they will be worse on the left.

I have to say carrying the bikes inside the X is the only way to go. I can fit 3 bikes and all my gear, or one bike and two passengers with all my gear. I bought the X because I could take my bikes internally.

#4 · (Edited)
putting the bike inside would be my suggestion if you have room.
Have you considered a Class1 hitch on the back of your trailer and mounting a bike rack there?

I just looked up that trailer... wow, thats small...
Do they may an option for a bike rack/roof rack on top of the camper when its folded up?

#5 ·
Hey Erik,

I had a somewhat similar problem. I carry a 16 foot canoe and a mountain bike placed vertically along side the canoe. Worked fine on the old 1993 Nissan pathfinder but the 'new' 2006 Xterra is much higher. Then I'm almost 6' 5" and frankly I find the X to be rather tall.

As it turns out, it wasn't that difficult to place the bike forks in the front Yakima bike holder and then lift the back. Works fine. The trick was to keep the back end of the bike low while getting the front forks installed and tightened down.

You probably want to carry a bunch of bikes so a roof solution is likely too awkward. I like Mathster's suggestion of a rear-mounted rack, most likely mounted to the hitch. To access stuff, come in from the rear side doors.

-Erik

#6 ·
Hey Erik,

I had a somewhat similar problem. I carry a 16 foot canoe and a mountain bike placed vertically along side the canoe. Worked fine on the old 1993 Nissan pathfinder but the 'new' 2006 Xterra is much higher. Then I'm almost 6' 5" and frankly I find the X to be rather tall.

As it turns out, it wasn't that difficult to place the bike forks in the front Yakima bike holder and then lift the back. Works fine. The trick was to keep the back end of the bike low while getting the front forks installed and tightened down.

You probably want to carry a bunch of bikes so a roof solution is likely too awkward. I like Mathster's suggestion of a rear-mounted rack, most likely mounted to the hitch. To access stuff, come in from the rear side doors.

-Erik
Actually, I was thinking along the lines of on the back of his camper trailer.
Im not familiar with the frame on his trailer, but I have seen 5ers setup to to a boat (for double tow).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.