Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rig has 190,000 miles on it, and it's about to have a couple thousand more in a few weeks. I have a whole bunch of maintenance that I'm planning to do and need to know if there are any major danger points to be aware of.

I'm replacing the belts, distributor, plugs, radiator, hoses, and getting the rear main gasket done up. All that with new brakes and a fresh front suspension.

I have a good amount of parts on their way already, and figured I'd ask here if y'all know about any typical issues when replacing any of the components I listed.

The whole front suspension has to be redone; the bushings and control arms are rusted/ worn to hell, so I plan on ordering the 4x4 parts front suspension kit, will I need to do the rear to match, or can the front be installed alone?

I understand the distributor is a finicky part with matching rotor positions and such, but I think I should be able to manage that on my own.

Help me out if you can!!

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
906 Posts
The dizzy is reported to be best replaced with an OE Nissan or OEM Hitachi unit. Otherwise, you're playing Russian roulette.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dizzy is reported to be best replaced with an OE Nissan or OEM Hitachi unit. Otherwise, you're playing Russian roulette.
Where can I find parts stores that sell in Hitachi or Nissan OE cause everywhere I've checked doesn't seem to list the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
157 Posts
I recently redid my front suspension. All the squeaks are gone. It was driving fine before so nothing to improve that way. I just had torn boots and it was time.
With rust it can be hard to get things apart. I am guessing you new control arms come with the ball joints installed so that will make it easier.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That list pretty much covers the typical stuff I see.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Has the timing belt been replaced?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently redid my front suspension. All the squeaks are gone. It was driving fine before so nothing to improve that way. I just had torn boots and it was time.
With rust it can be hard to get things apart. I am guessing you new control arms come with the ball joints installed so that will make it easier.
What suspension system did you buy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts