Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a 2000 Xterra I bought used a few months ago with 174K miles on it. It runs great! I have had to do a couple things to it, but nothing major. As I continue to go through it and make sure it will last at least another 175K, I want to increase the MPG and also have a little fun in doing so.

So, like most guys and gals here, I will be doing an intake and hopefully some kind of exhaust for starters. I met a guy here who young, and a Nissan performance guru. I am picking his brain.

I am also trying to find out what dual electric fans work on the 2000 Xterra from another vehicle so I can find one for cheap to use.

I have a 5-spd 6cyl 2WD. So, no real off-roading for me but I want to street it up a little. I SAID JUST A LITTLE! No big rims or anything like that. I just want improved performance and MPG's in the meantime.

I like DIY stuff and hope to learn a heck of a lot more in the process. My AC is giving me problems and I need to address it before it gets to hot here in Dallas/Fort Worth, TX.

I would love to meet up with some other enthusiasts who have done some things and chat.

Hope to hear and read ideas from all of you!

Thanks! Chat soon!

Erik (revamp)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome to ClubX!

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Hello!
I have a 2000 Xterra I bought used a few months ago with 174K miles on it. It runs great! I have had to do a couple things to it, but nothing major. As I continue to go through it and make sure it will last at least another 175K, I want to increase the MPG and also have a little fun in doing so.

So, like most guys and gals here, I will be doing an intake and hopefully some kind of exhaust for starters. I met a guy here who young, and a Nissan performance guru. I am picking his brain.

I am also trying to find out what dual electric fans work on the 2000 Xterra from another vehicle so I can find one for cheap to use.

I have a 5-spd 6cyl 2WD. So, no real off-roading for me but I want to street it up a little. I SAID JUST A LITTLE! No big rims or anything like that. I just want improved performance and MPG's in the meantime.

I like DIY stuff and hope to learn a heck of a lot more in the process. My AC is giving me problems and I need to address it before it gets to hot here in Dallas/Fort Worth, TX.

I would love to meet up with some other enthusiasts who have done some things and chat.

Hope to hear and read ideas from all of you!

Thanks! Chat soon!

Erik (revamp)
LOL - MPG's eh?

:D

Well, for starters, replace ALL lubes with full synthetics...repack the wheel bearings, grease the zerks, do the engine, tranny, differential, etc.

That lowers frictional resistance...so you roll more easily from a mechanical stand point....and improve mpg.

Next...look at your tires....look at the tread specifically.

Is the tread worn on the outer edges at all, or in the middle, etc? (Tire wear on both outer edges = too low a psi....wear down the middle = too high a psi, wear on ONE edge = alignment problems, etc.)

Keeping the tire pressure up will reduce hysteresis related rolling resistance, and improve mpg.

Keeping a decent wheel alignment reduces rolling resistance as well...as the rig is not fighting to go in more than one direction at a time, etc.

If the tires are old, consider replacing them with a set of tires with low rolling resistance.

Remove the roof plastic, mud flaps, rear sway bar and step rails. They add wind resistance, and weight.

Clean the MAF sensor in the intake.

Run some SeaFoam through the vacuum line and gas tank.

Consider changing the spark plugs and wires, rotor, etc...if aged.

The electric fan swap saves weight, and saves mechanical resistance at the fan clutch...but, when cooling is NEEDED, it ADDS resistance at the ALTERNATOR (Its an electric fan...).

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
Welcome to CX!

·
Registered
112 Posts
welcome to cx ... if you wanna learn a lot of things to do to your ride your in the right forum ... you have a lot of people that are well seasoned with x's and will help you a great deal.

-DuBB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts