Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my '00 X 4x4 dead.
Driving to work one day she just died.
She cranks just fine, just won't turn over.
Did my due dilly and ended up putting in a new Fuel Sending Unit.
Didn't work.
Checked fuel pump - it's pumping!
Fuse is OK.
Checked fire from spark plugs - check!
So I changed the fuel filter.
Still dead...any ideas out there?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Rotor turning in the dizzy ? If not timing belt is my bet. You've got fuel,spark. All it should need to run now is spark at the right time. I suspect someone else will have some great ideas, but meantime something to check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CBXterra!
When I have my wife crank it the belts are turning. I'm not sure about the "timing" belt though. I just know the difference between the belt I wear around my waist and the belt(s) under the hood!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry better explain. Timing belt turns the camshafts and the rotor. When it goes the valves and rotor in the distributator don't turn. To check you unscrew the 2 small bolts on the distributator cap. ( thing the plug wires come out of) and lift off the cap. The black part inside (shaped like a rod sitting on a shaft) should turn. If it doesn't STOP. The belt is broken and you risk bending a valve or other serious motor damage. Hope this clarifies things.

·
Registered
384 Posts
yes exactly what cbxterra said. Even if it does turn it probably is not rotating properly. You can not see this just by looking at it. you have to take the second cap off inside to look at the bearings and see if there is a red powder or shavings of metal which both will indicate the bearings have gone south. also put an obd scanner even if the check engine light isn't on. If you get a camshaft position code than it most certaintly is the distributor bearings. if you can't take the second cap off then look through the cracks and see what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts