Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am considering getting a xterra which years are best and models for everyday driving and a little off-road
I was thinking of a pro 4x

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 2nd gen has the 4.0 and the SMOD issue was resolved by 2009, I believe. Get a 2010 or later, that's what I did.

·
Registered
444 Posts
X2, 2010 or higher...and definitely get the pro 4x with the e locker

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
787 Posts
*depends what you're looking for

1st gens (2000-2004) are more affordable to buy and typically cheaper to mod. Plus you don't have to worry about hurting a $20k new truck offroad.

However, if you're going for a more "luxury" ride and only using 4x4 every so often for snow driving, back roads, etc. then go for the 2nd gen.

PS I use the term "luxury" very loosely. There are some crazy 2nd gens build out there and props to you guys. Just saying that might not be the cheapest route to go. If you have the money and want to mod then hey, get the 2nd gen!

·
Registered
176 Posts
In a perfect world, I'm pretty sure you want to go for an 02' with a Super Charger. I'm pretty sure I read that 00-02 had stronger front axles than 03-04 in the first gen.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In a perfect world, I'm pretty sure you want to go for an 02' with a Super Charger. I'm pretty sure I read that 00-02 had stronger front axles than 03-04 in the first gen.
I had heard the same thing, but I couldn't find a supercharged one in my area with under 170k, and I wanted one near 100k...looks like I'll just save up for a donor with a SC so I can swap everything across...that is after this one is on its last leg

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a 2013 S, about 70k on it. 4wd of course. I've done some limited mods... added towing package, K&N intake, (got 22.3 mpg going from Flagstaff to Lake Havasu). Put some good BFGs on it. That's about it so far.
I love the street ride. Firm, nimble and plenty fast. Off road, I love as well. Way better than my old CJ. We have lots of volcanic fields up here, that means lots of 8 inch and larger rocks just sticking out of the dirt that will disintegrate internal organs rather quickly. The stock x takes it all in stride. Firm and responsive, yet doesn't beat you to death. My only complaint off road is that first gear is a little too fast for the volcanic fields. Have to shift into 4Low to get the crawl rate needed for that terrain. Maybe a suspension upgrade is in order, if you guys have any advice on how to convince my wif...err, accountant; let me know! :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Maybe a suspension upgrade is in order, if you guys have any advice on how to convince my wif...err, accountant; let me know! :)
Break something on 'accident' then it has to be replaced! And obviously you'll want to get an upgraded part so it doesn't break again ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2013 S, about 70k on it. 4wd of course. I've done some limited mods... added towing package, K&N intake, (got 22.3 mpg going from Flagstaff to Lake Havasu). Put some good BFGs on it. That's about it so far.
I love the street ride. Firm, nimble and plenty fast. Off road, I love as well. Way better than my old CJ. We have lots of volcanic fields up here, that means lots of 8 inch and larger rocks just sticking out of the dirt that will disintegrate internal organs rather quickly. The stock x takes it all in stride. Firm and responsive, yet doesn't beat you to death. My only complaint off road is that first gear is a little too fast for the volcanic fields. Have to shift into 4Low to get the crawl rate needed for that terrain. Maybe a suspension upgrade is in order, if you guys have any advice on how to convince my wif...err, accountant; let me know! :)
I am in Flag as well. Where do you like to go off roading? I am looking for some new areas.

·
Registered
117 Posts
On the east side, head north on 89. Hang a left on fsr 552 then head toward locket meadow and hang a right on fsr 418, will take you all the way to the west side across the mountain. Tons of places to bail off and get knarley if you want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have read the same thing about the axles, not sure if fact or fiction though.

I love my '02 Supercharged X. The mods are cheap, along with a lot of DYI mods available to do (and that have been done and written up). The Supercharger certainly makes it funner power and sound wise. However IMO, overall the 4.0L is a more powerful and better designed engine (DOHC and higher compression ratio). I think if the VG33's were DOHC, it would be a different story (but then they probably wouldn't fit in 1G Xterra's and Frontier's).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts