Nissan XTerra Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am aware that the KO2 is Snowflake approved but I was referring to the original BFG KO tire that was mentioned above that does horrible in the snow to say the least and is not Snowflake approved. With that said I have not read enough reviews or heard any good things yet about the KO2 in the snow being that it is a pretty new tire. Seeing that the General Grabber does excellent in the snow and has proven itself already I am going that route. Also right now Tire Rack is selling the Grabber AT2 for $151 (for 33's) a tire vs 195 for the KO2's. If I lived somewhere that had a real winter (not San Diego) I would go with the Goodyear Duratracs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’d be keen to hear an option on best tires also for our Xterra 2008 off road . We have BFG AT also . We just got this car for our surfer son for his 18 . Only 65000 miles , belonged to a friend who used it only driving from LA to the snow . Tires are close to needing replacing .

We live in Maui so no snow here but my son is a big wave surfer so it needs to get to Jaws and Honolua regularly, both sketchy dirt roads . Currently it drives like a truck with these tires which he probably likes , for me it isn’t smooth .
Id welcome suggestions .... lasting for 80 k is prob not a priority as he will head for college soon so we will prob have the car for four years tops . Safety of course is !
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will chime in that having used the KO, the KO2, the Duratrak, Cooper Discos, some weird cheapo AT, and then the Yokohama Geolandar G015, the KO2 offers the most outright capability and are worth the price. On the other end, the Yokohama Geolandar G015 for the money is an excellent value, and I've never been stuck because of those tires in my Outback. But the reasons they make sense for an Outback are reasons why for ME they don't make sense for the Xterra. For my Outback, it is a daily driver, long-haul commuter, grocery getter, and heretofore a weekend wheeler. These tires are inexpensive, quiet, have excellent traction in all on-road elements, and handle better than some all-seasons I've used. However, when I've been mudding, rallying, or rock crawling, these lightweight AT's haven't let me down yet, and I never aired down.

However, because I bought my Xterra for exclusive offroad duty, the KO2's make way more sense, though I'm also considering the Yokohama MT003 because it's pretty aggressive. I'm not saying it wouldn't perform well on the X, but the G015 doesn't have much to the sidewall, and though the tread pattern is fairly agressive and able for a mostly highway tire, if the Xterra is heavy, noisy, inefficient, and handles like a truck, is there really a benefit to such a light-duty tire? I can't say for sure, but I'll pass this time around. My wife's XV Crosstrek has the KO2, and her car deftly outperforms mine in situations where sidewall lugs make or break your chances of everything going how you planned.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts