Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search function but I couldn't find it I am looking for a DIY for replacing all the belts on the VG33er engine. It looks like they are pretty cracked and in need of replacing. I was looking at the service manuals but I only say things for the timing belt. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I haven't done mine in a while, but if i recall there is a tensioner on the each belt. Loosen that up, uninstall re-install. I remember being on the ground for the alternator belt so the tensioner for that one must be there. The other i believe os on the top.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah have to do alternator from bottom,others from top. They're not hard, the trick is to find the bolt to loosen as well as the tension adjuster to slacken it off. Look up the sticky in DIY of the list of all DIY for mechanical stuff. The one on how to replace belts in super charged trucks. It's the same for water pump and alternator belts on both types of 1st gen. I think the supercharger belt is the same one as the air compressor one. (But I'm not sure). Hope this helps

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's a cake walk to change the upper two belts. Just need a 12mm and 14mm socket and maybe like a 6 inch extention. I believe the supercharger puller cap is held on with 2 10mm bolts. Like said before, locate the tensioner bolts and you've basically figured out what needs to happen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Which belts are you replacing? All 3 or just 2? I think it took me maybe 10 to 15 mins to swap the ps and ac/sc belts while enjoying a brew.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Haven't had the luxury of changing the alternator belt so I'm not much help for you there. But looking at it, I really can't see it being that difficult.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It is easy easy easy! I did it on my vg33e not supercahrged. And its simple as can be. alternator belt took me a minute to figure out but once your in there you can pretty much figure it all out on your on. Ac belt you loosem pulley on top right. Top left is ps belt and bottom right is alt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts