Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1st gen Xterra (2000) that I have owned for about 4 years. It has always had some weird issues that seem to be common among Xterras from my research; such as the gauges completely going out when it is hot outside or with the dash dimmer light all the way bright.

The latest issue is with the alternator. I was driving home from work and the ABS light started flashing, then the car started to die. The battery light never came on. I replaced the alternator and battery, still have the issue and the battery light is still not on. It does come on with ignition in test position, as do all the dash lights, so I know the bulb is working.

I have been researching this online and have tested all the fuses, fusible links, etc. I still have not isolated the issue. I am hoping someone hear has run into this as this old Nissans have some quirks.

Anyone?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, but check fuses and relays, especially ignition relay. Possible ignition switch and also check your grounding. I would start with the relay and ignition switch. I would check with OBDII first, to see any codes are popping up. The ignition switch is about 60 bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the replay, Rain. I have checked fuses, relays and ground. I have not checked ignition, that is an idea. The only code it is throwing on scan is the knock sensor (P095?) which it always throws. I received another suggestion that connections at the battery cable may be bad. I will check that cable as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thx for the replay, Rain. I have checked fuses, relays and ground. I have not checked ignition, that is an idea. The only code it is throwing on scan is the knock sensor (P095?) which it always throws. I received another suggestion that connections at the battery cable may be bad. I will check that cable as well.
You might have to take the alternator and get it tested like Autozone. You might bum one even new. Especially rebuilt ones. They can load test it there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts