Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about adding a back up camera to my 2000 X. Probably gonna get one that mounts to the rear license plate, though the hatch keyhole of my car is shot, and I was thinking of maybe (likely not) drilling out the keyhole and mounting the camera in there. Would buy a kit with a screen, and I'd probably mount it on the driver's visor, since I don't have a mirror anyway. I mostly don't want to mount it to my dash since I live in San Francisco, and I don't want to give someone a reason to smash my window.

Just curious if anyone has done this to their X, and if there is anything I should know going into this, if there are any tricky ways to tap into the reverse light, mount the screen, etc. I really appreciate any help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, I'm looking at doing the same for my 2004 X. Did you end up doing the cam install? Just wondering how I can run the wire from the cam to the inside without having to drill any holes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed a backup camera. It came with a new stereo / bluetooth/ gps system. The backup camera part was the most tricky. These videos were very helpful:

Use this one for how to bring the cable in from the camera. (Hint: there is a secret hole under the spare tire:

Use this video for everything. Particularly, how to tie power to the camera from the reverse lights:

Good luck! I'm glad I installed the camera... works great if you are towing.

-R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yea I actually watched both of those. In that first one they are installing on a second gen so that hole isn't there on my first gen. I'll have to keep digging. I guess I could run it like the guy does in the second video too, I just prefer not to have to rip my weatherstripping off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah. I'd prefer to drill a small hole above the spare tire (similar to the 2nd gen hole that is already there) as opposed to digging into the wirestripping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts