Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lifting my x and driving around for a few days i realized that the boot for my front passenger axle is ripped open with grease everywhere and the one on the drivers side is dangerously close to opening. Considering I have practically no money for the time being is there anything I can do for a temporary fix until the cash flows again or can I just not drive my xterra? Is it possible to drive the X with the torn boot or is it not worth it? For the long run should i just buy new rubber boots or the whole axle itself? According to the mechanic at brakes plus its better to get the whole axle but thats because its almost the same amount of labor to replace either one. Is this something thats fairly easy to do to myself so I could just replace the rubber boot and save mucho dinero. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
It can be a do it yourself job if you have some tools and know how. You can drive with them torn...assuming you mean 4wd cv axles. It just means the grease will wash away. 2wd is not affected really. Replace the entire axle...a complete axle is like 38 bucks on rock auto so grab 2 and swap them in. I did both about 9 months ago. The amount of effort to replace the boot and regrease is outweighed by the low cost of a complete axle.

·
Registered
621 Posts
yeah just buy the axles there cheap and probably need replaced anyways. Those boots suck which is why i hate independent front. They can be driven without the boot in 2wd though i would stay away from using the 4x4 until there fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts