Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 automatic transmission xterra. I’m trying to change the fluid but there are 2 bolts that I can’t get to because there’s a plate I guess supporting the Transmission I need suggestions what I should do to get the job done. First time doing it thank you for your help

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I assume that you mean that you're dropping the pan?
I'm not sure which plate you are referring to. The pan is wide open on mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answering right now I’m at work but when I get off I’m going to take a picture and I’ll post it so you can take a look what I’m talking about thank you again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can not even fit the socket in between or above that plate I hope that you can see what I’m talking about thank you

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,469 Posts
That is crazy! I wonder if someone installed the wrong part, or the right part the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Thank you for answering right now I’m at work but when I get off I’m going to take a picture and I’ll post it so you can take a look what I’m talking about thank you again
Don't have a Gen1 to reference but it looks like a molded rubber piece that is bolted to the frame right there with the two nuts there holding it. Wonder if you could loosen them enough to be able to force it out of the way enough to get at the pan bolts there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you again for answering back it’s not rubber in the beginning I thought the same but when I try to look for anything that is holding it I saw that it is metal

·
Registered
2003 natural aspirated 3.3
139 Posts
Worse come to worse , you can pry it back..😗

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
this is rather confusing, since I have no idea what those things are! Maybe once upon a time the previous owner had some sort of protection plate there? in any case yes I think if you try removing the bolts through the frame for whatever those brackets are it would allow access to the pan bolts. Maybe a Manual to Automatic swap? if anyone has a manual and feels like going the extra mile to help maybe take a look and see under your X?

·
Brooklyn br0
'01XE 4x4 3.3AT Locked SAS 35's
3,175 Posts
Not trying to be a wise ass but unless I find some particles or other debris in the fluid I drained or on the drain plug I wouldn't bother with the filter.

Our OEM AT filter is just wire mesh that should not wear unless there is some type of catastrophic transmission failure.

If I was determined to change the filter and ran into the trouble you seem to be experiencing I've learned the hard way to remove the "hardest to get to" fasteners first. This way, if I get stuck, I'm able to put it back together and get help from one of my more experienced friends. Hindsight and all...sorry.

Anyways, you might be able to sneak in an offset wrench in there.
I don't have that cross-member in my truck anymore so can't check but can that bracket be removed without dropping the cross-member?

I have a transmission cooler that, at the time, came with a filter incorporated within. Ya might want to consider installing one avoiding concern with the OEM one (that doesn't really do anything) in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts