Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Automatic Transmission Compatibility

14K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  cuong nguyen 
#1 ·
I need to replace an automatic transmission in a 2000 Xterra XE. Does anyone know the boundary years that can be used? Looks like car-part.com com shows 2000-2002 models in their options, when searching for a 2000 transmission. Does this sound accurate? What changed on the 2003-2004 models such that they don't work with the 2000?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I believe the 03-04 are the HD Trans, and would be a better option anyway

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
Extras:
Intake Mod
COMING SOON:
Nerf Bar delete, mud flap delete, 32"tires, synthetic fluids throughout, tune up
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, UCA'S, roof basket, lighting

#4 ·
I believe the 03-04 are the HD Trans, and would be a better option anyway

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
Extras:
Intake Mod
COMING SOON:
Nerf Bar delete, mud flap delete, 32"tires, synthetic fluids throughout, tune up
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, UCA'S, roof basket, lighting
What is an "HD" transmission? :) Do all the electronics on '03-'04 connect right up to the wiring on the '00-'02 model trucks? What about torque converters, etc.? What about the ECU? Does it accept newer transmissions without any issue?

Thanks!

#6 ·
The only HD Trans are from a 3.5 and a supercharged equipped vehicle
Ok, what do the letters "HD" stand for? So, these '02-'04 transmission DO NOT work in the '00-'01 NON-supercharged vehicles (also only 3.3L).

Thanks.

#8 ·
HD means heavy duty. Nissan/Jatco beefed up the internals for to handle the supercharger and the 3.5L.

It plugs right up with no issue.
Ok, so these '02-'04 automatic transmissions bolt right up to the '00-'01 engines with no issue? What about electrical connections? Torque Converters? Flywheel? Everything else match up correctly? :)

#10 ·
The best fix for your auto-tragic transmission is to remove it entirely and replace it with a manual one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.