Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 XTerra SE 5spd
I like the automatic locking hubs but I'd like to disable them sometimes. There are times when I'd like to be able to use the low range of the transfer case in 2wd. Do they make a hub that has an automatic setting and a not-locked setting? this way I could disable the lock on the hubs and put the transfer case into 4-Low but only get power to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Short answer would be no. Though you can get manuals and get out and turn the dial everytime you need your 4x4. Personally i like the manuals but i also dont like having to get out of my truck to unlock them. I live on a dirt road and when it rains cause its on a hill it gets really bad washed out and floods on the bottom of the road. When you gotta go somewhere and its pouring down rain and you need your 4x4 you wont enjoy having to lock them out in the rain. Mine is a daily drive so it makes more sense to use the stock autos. Though what in the world are you doing to need 2 low? Mine will spin both tires smashing the breaks in 2wd high i couldnt see a reason of needing 2low.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Manuals are the way to go. I thought I'd hate having to get out to lock them but I found they are just plain more reliable and predictable. If wheeling, they aren't bad to hop out and lock in. If weather is looking bad, just lock them in a day or so before and have no worries...transfer case is still unlocked. I have Mile markers from 4x4parts.com...great hubs. Can't complain. The convenience of auto locking hubs is out weighed by the cheap plastic cam disk thingy of the auto lockers. Manuals rock in
my experience. They are the only way to send power from 4 Lo to the rear wheels and not the front that I am aware of.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thats why i bought a spare set haha. Though my old one broke by the plastic it also had 150k miles on it of some decent wheeling and alot of snow. But the autos are very strong just that plastic ring like ya said sucks. And living in fl. The weather is too unpredictable. It rains one day gets cold the next and then gets smokin hot. The ground out here turns into mush id have to keep mine locked 24/7. Though if you dont have a problem manuals are the way to go.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I've broken 3 of the auto locking hubs and had issues of them not fully disengaging. It wasn't noticeable until I installed the Lokka in the front. Having the differential locked together meant the locker would randomly engage and start ratcheting when the hub would get stuck. Although, this would basically be invisible with an open differential...your CV axles would just be spinning free.

Got too frustrating for me...had to toss them. The annoyance of manually locking my hubs was outweighed by the reliability of knowing 100% if you were locked or not at the hub.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah see i havent broke my autos and ive wheeled the piss out of mine and i have a lockka too. Guess it depends on the luck idk. But when mine break im going to warn manuals because i want to be able to lock them manually because it seems mine are a pain in the arse sometimes to unlock. But i keep mine well greased. Every 5-6k miles i re grease them. Though its probably not necessary to do so but it cant hurt. Though i want the manuals cause i like the way they look lol. Plus i had a few times i buryed it in 2wd and couldnt get the hubs to lock. Though one time when i was in sand i tryed to get them to engage cause i was barly moving. When i did they locked at like 4k rpm and i thought i was gonna break them to shards and nothing happened other than me walking out of some deep holes in the sand. Though if you wheel hard i could see manuals a benefit. But for my occasional trail and the rain as mentioned above these are gonna stay on mine till they break lol. Though i do think it all depends on what better for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Though what in the world are you doing to need 2 low? Mine will spin both tires smashing the breaks in 2wd high i couldnt see a reason of needing 2low.
With a std transmission you have to slip the clutch in order to get torque at low speed. I can pull a boat out of the water in 2hi but I don't have to slip the clutch as much when in 4low but then I have to drive around the launch and parking lot in 4wd and of course the 4wd system groans and complains on the pavement. If I could leave the hub unlocked I'd get the best of both worlds, less clutch slippage and no 4wd on the pavement.

I guess I'll have to go with manual hubs to get this behavior.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Why not just shift into 2x when the boat is up? But yeah the manuals are decent, just a pain in the rain. I've got a habit of backing up 3 feet when unlocking. Don't know why but some here do it to ensure disengaged. I'm out unlocking anyway so am stoppeed, only takes a sec

1 - 8 of 8 Posts