Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2004 X with a bad transmission, I am wondering if other year 1st gen xterras have identical transmissions I could swap into mine?? Mine is supercharged with 180k milea.. 4x4.. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
No. The supercharged models have a revolution sensor that the non supercharged models do not have. The torque converters on the supercharged transmission are larger as well. You could potentially run the “lighter duty” transmission if you got the correct TCM as well. You’d have to pay attention to with or without VDC on the control unit because these variations use different data protocols and I’m not certain of their compatibility. The pathfinder models have the rev sensor but I don’t remember if it’s only the 3.5L models and if that were the case then I’m not sure if the bell house is the same configuration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. The supercharged models have a revolution sensor that the non supercharged models do not have. The torque converters on the supercharged transmission are larger as well. You could potentially run the “lighter duty” transmission if you got the correct TCM as well. You’d have to pay attention to with or without VDC on the control unit because these variations use different data protocols and I’m not certain of their compatibility. The pathfinder models have the rev sensor but I don’t remember if it’s only the 3.5L models and if that were the case then I’m not sure if the bell house is the same configuration.
I think it is only the 3.5 models because they share that transmission, if the bell housings arent the same I could use mine right?

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Xterra Se Super Charged, auction project. It needs some love. Manifolds both
14 Posts
Got off of GOOGLE. The Throttle Position sensor measures the throttle position, which is controlled by the gas pedal. It is used to determine engine load and if it fails it can cause automatic transmission shifting problems

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got off of GOOGLE. The Throttle Position sensor measures the throttle position, which is controlled by the gas pedal. It is used to determine engine load and if it fails it can cause automatic transmission shifting problems
Hmmm, that would trip the engine light though right? Theres no codes popping up on my scanner

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Xterra Se Super Charged, auction project. It needs some love. Manifolds both
14 Posts
This would fall under reprogramming. Is my thinking. May not show up on a your scanner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts