Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just received my new set of manual locking hubs for my 2000 Nissan Xterra they did not come with instructions and I had some questions on how to install them. One of My auto lockers is still in good condition I believe but the other failed and tore up everything between the wheel bearing out to the end of the hub what do I need to replace when I install my new lockers or are those parts necessary for the manual locking hubs? The one I am most concerned about appears to be a washer/spacer with roller bearings in it? Any input would be super helpful

·
Brooklyn br0
'01XE 4x4 3.3AT Locked SAS 35's
3,290 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Remove the 6 allen bolts on the stock auto hub. 6mm allen wrench will do the trick.

Remove the snap ring from the axle shaft.

Slide the "fixed cam assembly" off the axle. This is ring type thing that has a tightly wound spring around the edge and has various cam surfaces...IE: ramps and notches. You don't need this.

Reinstall snap ring on bare axle (no more fixed cam assembly ring thingy)

Pre-assemble the manual hub if it has 2 separate pieces (IE: the dial/cap bolts to the base).

Put some grease on the splines inside the manual hub.

Bolt it on with the 6 bolts.

Cycle the locking dial a few times to make sure it is actuating smoothly. Test to make sure 4WD is working.

If I understand your original question, you are asking about parts that were already on your truck STOCK? And wondering if you need them or not? It sounds like your question is about the fixed cam assembly behind the snap ring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is an excellent thread. Very informative.

I took my truck to local shop to replace the wheel bearings on my X and the mechanic called and told me that "a plastic ring with a thrust washer" in the auto lock hub had fallen apart in his hand when he removed it.

I did a search online and found the "plastic ring" (and I assume the thrust washer) was called a "Fixed Cam Assembly" and was not serviced separately and in fact, were NLA - in a new hub. I told the mechanic to put it back together and I'd fix it.

Sounds like the fix is to replace the hub with a used one or convert to manual hubs.

I don't intend to do any rock crawling with the truck. I just need 4WD for safety. My X is an "extra car" that I need to keep as a low-cost backup for my other cars in bad weather (I live at 8200 feet -- snows a lot here). With cost control in mind, I've got a set of eBay cheapo manual hubs on the way and will be replacing the factory auto hubs when they arrive. I do have a question or two, though.

First, I assume I will be tossing both pieces of the Fixed Cam Ass'y (ring and t-washer). Is that a safe assumption? Also...While the unit I ordered comes complete with 6 new allen-head bolts I've read that the bolts supplied are typically too long and should be replaced by shorter units. Is this true and do I need special grade 8 bolts?

Thanks for your advice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.