Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if I was to buy a manual transmission, would it bolt up the the existing transfer case in a 2002 automatic? I have a 2002 5 Speed 2wd for a donor for pedals, clutch master etc. A friend has a 2002 auto 4wd with tranny troubles and I was wondering how hard it would be to convert it to a manual.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
636 Posts
This works but requires a few work arounds. Getting a manual ECM may be required if you ever have to pass smog or possibly for cruise control to work

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2 vehicles are complete. Only difference being one is 2wd 5 speed and the other is 4w d auto. I want to put the 5 speed in the auto one and keep 4wd. I know I'll need a 4ed tranny, but will I need a new transfer case or will the auto one bolt to a manual. I have the donor 2wd for ecu, pedals, flywheel, and everything else

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
636 Posts
The transfer should be the same. I would think the driveshafts would be the same length but I don’t know that. I know of one truck I’ve worked on that has had this swap but it uses custom driveshafts for wagoneer axles. That truck is only driven off road. I like my automatic and I don’t think I’d consider a 5 speed even if it was free and my automatic blew up.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
The tcases have the same mounting and the same input/output splines and shafts. The difference between them is the wiring hookups. They are completely different between the two and the manual tcase has a half cover on the input shaft for oil routing to the shifter linkage.

I did a manual swap. It can be done. You'll want a manual tcase. The wiring are different like I said and the shifter needs lubricant and needs the cover to route the oil to it. If you want to manual swap and wheel hard you need the 3.7:1 4lo gears. It's a must IMO. I installed mine during the swap.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts

This part is different and is needed for the manual. Plus the manual tranny isn't sealed so when you break the tcase off oil will come right out. Drain before to split them. The auto is self contained from the tcase. The manual is not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts