Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all this is my first thread and i am excited to be part of this community.
I just purchased this 2002 xterra non/sc 4x4 green with no rust 122,000 miles
If anyone is interested i payed $3600 for it here in the suburbs of chicago il.
I have a problem with the 4x4 it's not locking in and i suspect the front hubs but it has been way too cold to investigate further at this point. I have been reading this forum for 3 straight days about 15 hours worth of threads. I just got off the phone with 2 different Nissan dealerships and both have told me that the auto locking hubs for my 2002 xterra have been dis-continued and there are NONE available to purchase anywhere! So unless somebody can help me out it would seem that i have to buy the cheap old rugged ridge manual lockers. I would rather have the OEM auto lockers because i am not building an off-road Rig here i just need it for the snow on occasion. Any thoughts?
Before anyone chimes in with used junk yard parts i DO NOT want to put used parts on my truck I never have and i never will.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If they are discontinued and you don't want to put used parts on then your only choice is manual hubs. 3 brands that I know of are Warn, Mile Marker, and rugged ridge. If it's only for occasional snow then I'd just buy the cheapest ones. I have Mile Markers on my Xterra.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I have Mile Markers and they have worked well thus far.

The only option is finding used ones at a junk yard or on the internet.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have warns on my Illinois truck. love then...

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't think they are discontinued you can order them online or you can get used or new manual hubs I bought 2 hubs replaced my broke one and have wheeled it hard since used are fine... And even them manuals are still better but I'm not getting out when it's raining and muddy to look closely my hubs as I'm not messing up my interior.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well I mean I would never swear off junkyard parts. I saved myself hundreds of dollars by using parts off an X with just a blown motor. Same with my old Prelude. If you have that much money rolling around then i'd say find a new vehicle without any broken parts.

Otherwise get the manual lockers. If the weather gets bad you pull off and flip the switches. You don't have to have the 4WD engaged to have them switched (although you should avoid driving with them switched on dry pavement.

For example if I know there will be snow on the roads heading up to the mountain, id stop at the exit just before or after you get into the hills and flip them, then drop the lever when the roads turn white. If mine were malfunctioning...

Someone correct me if im wrong...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure where your at but I just put Manuel hubs on my x an the newly rebuilt auto hubs only have less than a year on em an mostly highway or snowy road driving there good hubs send me a postage box an you can have them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure where your at but I just put Manuel hubs on my x an the newly rebuilt auto hubs only have less than a year on em an mostly highway or snowy road driving there good hubs send me a postage box an you can have them
well i'm in the same boat with a 2002 5speed not blown. dealer in canada and states say those are discontinued. ive scoured the net and come up zero on replacements. i'll take them. please and thank you
if you want to text me @ 519.981.9922
my name is Buddy
let me know i will send postage or give you a fedex account number to ship to me. i'm in Hazel Park Michigan
i just bought mine this last summer tried the 4wd a few times on pancake flat dirt, of course everything worked. First snowfall - FAIL no 4wd lock on front hubs. All the jeep drivers sneared and laughed as i fish-tailed by
your offer is very generous

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mile marker and warn hubs. Also a few cheaper options as well
The auto hubs you cannot buy unless used. Which is why years ago when I got mine I got a spare set from a forum member.

·
Brooklyn br0
3,094 Posts
Don't look like my OEM autos ^^^
Not trying to be a wise ass but I don't understand the aversion to putting used parts on a 14 year old truck with over 120,000 on its clock that is no longer supported by the manufacturer.
When ever I get my hands on OEM parts including hubs for my junk heap in decent shape I grab em and use em if the need arises. Just sayin...

I'm with buds2002x, if he don't want gmwaid's rebuilt auto's for postage I'll take 'em!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mile Markers are junk, so are the stock auto lockers.

Get Warn and Warn only.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Mile Markers are junk, so are the stock auto lockers.

Get Warn and Warn only.
Warn has two versions, and one is a lot better than the other.

The OEM auto lockers are actually well made, and hold up pretty well for OEM...and they don't stick out as far as the Warn for example.

A LOT of people hit the Warn's on rocks and break the allen's, holes, etc because they stick out pretty far compared to the OEM.

Of course, if you lock the front/want to be able to dial out a broken CV side, etc...the manual is the only reasonable answer.

>:D

As Tom said, really, some of the first gen X's are approaching Antique License Plate requirements, and worrying about a used part on a decade+ rig seems a bit ludicrous.

If you do go manual, yeah, lock the hubs before hitting the dirt...so if you go into 4wd, they are already locked.

Same for auto hubs btw...engage the 4wd, roll forward enough to lock the hubs, then go back to 2wd...and as long as you didn't reverse in 2wd, if you need 4wd, the hubs are already locked.

IE: Auto hubs need to roll forward a few feet to lock...so if you wait until you're stuck to hit 4wd, you can't roll forward to lock the hubs.

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, the hub cam assembly u mentioned before is part plastic right ? My father has one that is cracked and needs to be replaced, he lives in foreign country, do u know where can I buy those plastic hub cams ?
Thanx a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well this bit of info is definitely worth looking into. Thank you Ryan42. Didn't even think to look there. I shop Ali for everything else, would have never thunk auto locking hubs for a vehicle this old. Then again maybe it makes sense. A lot of these Xterra's and pickups around the world that nobody wants to let die!
This forum being a credit to that!

It's not like they are dirt cheap. So it's either gamble on these for convenience, or spend a few bucks more for proven hubs with extra effort. I'm not sure yet how my lazy human nature will decide. So I'll post with the outcome. Question is - Anybody try these out yet??????

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I have warns on my Illinois truck. love then...
Another Aztec Red Xterra with Warn hubs, nice. I ditched my front sway bar along with the rear bar also, much smoother ride

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know Nissan discontinued the Hub Assembly which is the the cap held on by 6 bolts on the outside. I had a problem with my auto locking hubs recently and rather than put manuals on , I ordered new parts and replaced it myself. New snap ring, spindle washer, and fixed cam assembly. Put those on today and regreased both sides and my 4wd is working perfectly. Once I took the hub assembly off I knew something was wrong. Spring on the cam assembly had collapsed and the metal part was all bent out. Spindle washer was noticeably worn and I replaced the snap ring just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I know Nissan discontinued the Hub Assembly which is the the cap held on by 6 bolts on the outside. I had a problem with my auto locking hubs recently and rather than put manuals on , I ordered new parts and replaced it myself. New snap ring, spindle washer, and fixed cam assembly. Put those on today and regreased both sides and my 4wd is working perfectly. Once I took the hub assembly off I knew something was wrong. Spring on the cam assembly had collapsed and the metal part was all bent out. Spindle washer was noticeably worn and I replaced the snap ring just for the hell of it.
How much did the parts cost you?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts