Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately mine seems like it shifts wayyy early and like its locking up. As in when going 45 ish how it locks up and the rpms wont go up unless it downshifts. It does it when its cold at low speeds. Like 10-30 mph it seems as though it wont rev up and shifts early. If you give it some throttle it will down shift and act fine until your easy on the throttle. Like 1 minute of driving though and it goes away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lately mine seems like it shifts wayyy early and like its locking up. As in when going 45 ish how it locks up and the rpms wont go up unless it downshifts. It does it when its cold at low speeds. Like 10-30 mph it seems as though it wont rev up and shifts early. If you give it some throttle it will down shift and act fine until your easy on the throttle. Like 1 minute of driving though and it goes away.
Have you checked your trans & radiator fluid? I have a 2008 Xterra &4-5 yrs ago was having similar problems, found the radiator had cracked interior which caused the 2 fluids 2 blend together. Luckily I caught it in time & was able 2 get new radiator & flush both engine& transmission b4 transmission was totally destroyed. It is a known prob on Xterra's, can't remember if there was recall or just tsb. I'll check& edit

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine has a similar problem but around 90-95 mph, whenever I get there it all of a sudden like locks my gas pedal up and drops down to like 80-85 within a second. Pretty terrifying when you're going that fast and things start happening lol. But it sounds somewhat similar to that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it seems to have gotten alot worst pretty fast. Today i took it for a spin and it shifts hard and wayy fast like ill be doing 20mph at 1k rpms and lugging the engine. It almost stalled when i came to a stop. Checked fluid its fairly brown not too bad but needs changed.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anybody know what transmission is in the 00 xterra 4x4 with a non supercharged v6? Seems autozone has multiple transmissions listed and the parts i was going to go get are for 2 different transmissions but both say they fit mine? Do these have a filter or screen?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well this morning it shifted fine. I actually think it is because of my tps. The screw is stripped out that holds the tps so after a while it moves a little bit. It used to do this exact thing when hot well similar. Transmission went to safety mode when i pulled out because it was pulling incredibly well so i pulled out into traffic and chirped 2nd gear than my cel went off like a xmas tree and transmission went to safety mode. Any how its getting changed tommorow. I done got the parts and fluid.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And at the end of the day... Not sure if at all relevant but my dash lit up everything cel brake batterys etc etc. Turns out after diagnostics my alternator has died. 184k miles. And has been framed out in slush mud a million times been through water over the hood and has ran a 900 watt pioneer amp and sub for 40k miles. Shes taxed. Looks like ill be picking a new one up tommorow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.