Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to go through Courtesy Parts for the timing belt kit and my jaw dropped when I saw the price. I found this kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/18200275868...1&exe=13926&ext=35632&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext) on eBay with seems to be OEM and sold by a dealer and then I could buy the accessory belts, thermostat, and seals separately and save a bit of cash. However, there is a line about half way down the description

"Part of Nissan's Value Advantage line for lower priced alternative parts to the aftermarket line"

Is this the same quality stuff I want or would get from Courtesy? I asked the seller for the part numbers for the individual components and they said that Nissan does not provide individual part numbers for the kit. I don't want to cheap out and get inferior parts, I do want the recommended OEM stuff, but I also want to save a bit of cash considering the labor alone is going to be about $450.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buyer beware. A lot of Ebay sellers are not legit when it comes to OEM parts. I've learned my lesson. I got burnt once. I rather spend the extra money from Courtesy. They are great to deal with. If your truck is a keeper, I would spend the money to have legit OEM parts as well as having it replaced correctly. I know a lot of people with 250,000 to 300,000 miles on their X with proper maintenance. I plan on keeping mine till it rots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used the TBK kit off amazon. 10k miles and no issues so far.

You may get another 50-60,000 miles out of that kit ? (For motor parts ) Personally, If I did the work myself, I wouldn't spend all that time replacing the timing belt with anything but OEM, or if I paid someone, I would want OEM. For the few extra dollars, It's worth a piece of mind to me. I know people who go 30,000 miles without changing their oil, and 100,000 mile without changing the trany fluid. Does their car still run ? Yes. But, that's just not something I can do. I don't have the money to buy a new truck every 3-5 years.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may get another 50-60,000 miles out of that kit ? (For motor parts ) Personally, If I did the work myself, I wouldn't spend all that time replacing the timing belt with anything but OEM, or if I paid someone, I would want OEM. For the few extra dollars, It's worth a piece of mind to me. I know people who go 30,000 miles without changing their oil, and 100,000 mile without changing the trany fluid. Does their car still run ? Yes. But, that's just not something I can do. I don't have the money to buy a new truck every 3-5 years.
You guys are absolutely right. If you're going to pay to have it done or take the time to do it yourself, may as well do it right. I want my baby to run for a long time. Cars aren't an investment but you may as well keep it running properly for what you pay for them...

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I wouldn't do Ebay. I'm even a little reluctant with Courtesy. I got my parts from them and the tensioner had a slight slight bad bearing grinding. Took it to my local dealer and they brought theirs out. They were totally different but both would work. They said mine was a grey market item, probably from Japan. I sent it back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't do Ebay. I'm even a little reluctant with Courtesy. I got my parts from them and the tensioner had a slight slight bad bearing grinding. Took it to my local dealer and they brought theirs out. They were totally different but both would work. They said mine was a grey market item, probably from Japan. I sent it back.
I'm shocked to hear that about Courtesy. Did you contact Courtesy and tell them you matched up their part with one from the local dealer ?
Wondering what they said.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did mine for about $850CAD and bought the kit from NAPA. Also did the water pump which is usually pretty cheap and easy to replace once they (or you) are digging around down there.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I'm shocked to hear that about Courtesy. Did you contact Courtesy and tell them you matched up their part with one from the local dealer ?
Wondering what they said.
No I didn't. I was worried they wouldn't take it back as it was because the bad bearing feeling was so slight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.