Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What antifreeze is right for your Xterra? Why?
First off Nissan recomends a silicate free HOAT antifreeze, with a phosphate additive to protect their cooling systems from corrosion and rust.
In order to keep Nissan from draining your wallet, there are other brands out there that work.
Zerex makes one called Asian Vehicle antifreeze/coolant.
Why is this so important?
First off there are many types of antifreeze and using the incorrect one can be disasterous to the antifreeze/coolant containing parts.
Some are not compatible and some have no long lasting corrosion protection.
Some actually cause electrolosis in multi metal engines (Like the Xterra).
Nissan makes one with their brand name on it for about $20 a gallon (full strength)
The Zerex is designed for us too.
It is 5 year 150,000 mile guarantee
Compatible for Asian engines
Silicate free with phosphate HOAT chemistry
Protects against corrosion and rust (important for iron/alluminum engines)
and this one is premixed, so you just pour it in.

I hope this clears up, why you need to use the correct type antifreeze/coolant!
Please note, you can buy this in full strength also and then add your own distilled water to it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought my X from a Chev dealership, It had a coolant leak during the test drive so the dealership added Green AC Delco Dexcool. I'm begining to wonder if they were correct in doing this.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good info for others to see, I'm a firm believer in using a good quality coolants (along with distilled water), but buying premix your getting less coolant so it all balances out in the end. I can pick up nissan coolant for ~$20 a gallon with a gallon of distilled water for less than $1 (netting me 2 gallons of 50/50 mix) vs the xerex premix at ~$12 a gallon. Not a knock against the xerex, just want people to realize all they are getting is convenience out of buying premix.

Edit below

good quality coolant will help prevent the internal coolant passages from rusting from our iron blocks and the galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals being in close proximity to each other like our iron blocks with aluminum heads and other aluminum cooling bits and spreading deposits around. Ever pop a radiator cap and see rust all around the rubber seal? Not what i'd want floating inside the motor, plus I bet it decreases the coolants effectiveness.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is a no silicate HOAT chemistry antifreeze (has the phosphate chem package), you will be fine, but if it is OAT, I would replace it, as it will allow internal electrolosis and a no/no for us!
Xterra engines have a weakness for elctrolisis in the heads and other aluminum parts, including the aluminum radiators. That is why it is so important to use the correct blended antifreeze.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought my X from a Chev dealership, It had a coolant leak during the test drive so the dealership added Green AC Delco Dexcool. I'm begining to wonder if they were correct in doing this.
I am pretty sure Dex Cool is Hoat standard, but I have had a difficult time getting the exact facts from Prestone. Everything is secret to them. LOL

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,367 Posts
Make sure it's safe for aluminum (outside the US, aluminium, but what do they know ;)) or you could cause some serious metal damage by not having the right chemical recipe for the metals in your cooling system.

Also, never mix "green" and "orange" types, since the chemical characteristics would just turn into glop in your system. ("Glop" is a very technical word for us DIYers. :D)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts