Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently installed my blistien 3in deluxe suspension lift and 33in mickey thompsons after a few weekends of nothing but air hammering and cutting every seized bolt out of my 2000 nissan X. After doing all this i took my car to brakes plus to get the steering aligned only to find out that they would need $950 for it to work...WHAT?! Apparently my tie rod adjustors are seized in place and the only way to adjust this is to buy new tie rod adjustors and tie rod ends, but still $950 for all this seemed outrageous. After a little reading around I see that its worth it to replace the tie rod adjusters because of how incredibly slim they are compared to heavy duty ones. Is there anyone out there that knows where to find all 4 tie rod ends (Inner and Outer for both sides) for cheapish? I will probably settle with the tie rod adjuster from 4x4parts.com. Also is this something thats fairly easy to replace? Considering it couldn't be any more difficult than cutting out my control arms and my seized torsion bars. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
You can get it all from 4x4 parts IIRC.

The Moogs are OK if you get them locally.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Rockauto is good for the rod ends. 4x4parts..com for the rod adjusters. I got all 4 rod ends from AutoZone...duralast brand for pretty cheap...but not as nice and tight as the MOOGS. Depends on the financial situation...but you could probably replace them all yourself and have them align afterward

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
2 inner tie rod ends
2 outer tie rod ends

The inners and outers are the same size and geometry, but the internal threads are cut opposite of each other.

both tie rod adjusters are the same (slender rod with reverse threads on each end like a turn buckle)

You can adjust the length of the tie rod assembly by rotating the tie rod. The reverse threads causes one direction to pull each end inwards (shorter length)...and the opposite direction will push the rod ends out (longer length).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the tie rod adjustors from auto zone no good? Ill get the tie rod ends from there but the tie rod adjustor is quite a bit cheaper than the adjustor from 4.4parts.com. Is the one from 4x4parts.com worth the extra $40? they almost seem about the same thickness.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
They are definitely not the same thickness. If you offroad or run bigger tires, my personal opinion is they are a necessity. If it is a 100% street driven X, than there may be no need. Just remember, it only takes 1 time to snap one and leave you stranded. I am not a hard core or frequent off roader by any means, but have broken a few. Sure, you may be able to buy spares of the regulars for the price... but have fun replacing them on a trail somewhere, and having to pay for another alignment afterwards. It is worth it to me now that I have seen the consequence of not forking the money over up front...I just forked more money over later.

Even if my truck was going to be 100% street driven...the HD tie rod adjusters and an idler arm brace would still be on my truck...simply because I believe the stock parts are weak by design.

It isn't that they are "no good"...it is just a threaded rod turnbuckle type thing. It just depends on the thickness in the center part and how much force it takes before they bend or break. Either part does the job...the stock size is just very weak. On top of that, the consequence of breaking one is huge. (no steering, can't drive, have to get towed, waste an hour replacing one on a trail somewhere, screwed up alignment aftewards, etc). It is MUCH better to prevent the breakage in the first place.

If you are convinced 100% that your xterra will never leave the pavement, then you may be able to save a few dollars with out catastrophe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts