Nissan XTerra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
133 Posts
Not exactly sure how I would be able to tell if its stuck locked or not. Being locked would mean I'm in 4 wheel drive?
Jack up the wheel and spin it, look at the cv axle behind the wheel to see if it is turning. If the hub is unlocked the cv should not be turning.

·
Registered
2001 Red Xterra SE 6.6 4x4 Automatic I call him Ol Red
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jack up the wheel and spin it, look at the cv axle behind the wheel to see if it is turning. If the hub is unlocked the cv should not be turning.

Thanks a bunch man! I'm gunna try to check that before I take Red into the shop in a few hours.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Lifted the front end up checked both CV axles and neither of them spun. So both are unlocked. Break pads and rotors didn't look bad. But the right side definitely has something slowing it down while spinning it. Would replacing brake pads and bleeding brake lines be a potential fix? Obviously without knowing the exact issue nobody can say definitively yes or no but I cant understand what else it could be.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
UPDATE: 4/1/2021

Shop just called said the rotors are warped and that's what is causing the the problem. Didn't know warped rotors could cause a constant pull like I have. Also said they straightened the steering wheel so hopefully that is at least correct. Said they wouldn't be charging me anything which is a plus. I'll let you all know what's different when I get red back a little later.

Update #2 a little later...

So I went and picked my x up from the shop. Steering wheel has been corrected and is now centered with my wheels. Funny thing, I switched my left and right front tires with each other to see if the pulling was the tire or not. It wasnt. Never switched them back and I didn't tell them I had switched them in the first place. I'm not sure if they just thought I was stupid the first time round or what but my x is driving alot straighter now. The new printout they gave me :

Red does still pull to the right but nothing like before. So I'm closer! Now I just gotta find the money to get new rotors and pads for both and I'll be able to pull a lighter trailer with out worry of a tire excessively wearing and blowing out on me. Or pulling me off the road. Now to start searching the how to's to see if doing rotors is something I can do myself or not. Never done rotors before but I have done pads so how much harder can it be? Lol

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
133 Posts
That is great it drives better.
Some cars rotors are very easy and they just slid off like the 2005-2015 Xterra, but the 2000-2004 Xterra is more complex and they are bolted to the hub and you need to take the wheel bearings off to get the hub off. It can be done but is more work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That is great it drives better.
Some cars rotors are very easy and they just slid off like the 2005-2015 Xterra, but the 2000-2004 Xterra is more complex and they are bolted to the hub and you need to take the wheel bearings off to get the hub off. It can be done but is more work.

Wow I didn't realize I had to take basically everything apart to do this. Heck I dont even think I have all the proper tools. Looks like I'm going t ok have to do some more research on the whole hub assembly/ disassembly. Guess I figured it would be one that pops off given the proper blots/ screws loosened.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
779 Posts
I'd try using some sandpaper on the rotors and the braking surface of the pads to see if it's just irregular deposits of brake material rather than a rotor that is actually warped.

Wouldn't be the first time!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'd try using some sandpaper on the rotors and the braking surface of the pads to see if it's just irregular deposits of brake material rather than a rotor that is actually warped.

I will most definitely try this first!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Is it possible to do it by hand without taking the rotor off to sand it and brake pads down? Or do I need power tools for the sanding?

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
133 Posts
Is it possible to do it by hand without taking the rotor off to sand it and brake pads down? Or do I need power tools for the sanding?
I have never heard of sanding a brake rotor. But I have never had a warped brake rotor.

Once you have the calipers and pads off does the rotor spin freely or is something else the problem making the drag?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have never heard of sanding a brake rotor. But I have never had a warped brake rotor.

Once you have the calipers and pads off does the rotor spin freely or is something else the problem making the drag?

Havent taken them off yet. Was waiting to see if I would get a response before I started doing it. Just incase doing it without taking it off and doing it by hand could cause it to get worse. I've never heard of it until researching it on here. But I'm hopeful that it will help my situation. Once get everything pulled apart to do it I'll let you know if it spins free without the pads and calipers attached. Hopefully it does. If not I'm sure there's a bigger problem at play. Which would probably be the reason the rotor got warped. Only time will tell. If sanding it down can fix it I'll still probably end up buying new ones to put on along with pads. But if not then I guess I'll just be driving with a pull to the right.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,525 Posts
They have to come off you can not sand them by hand. They will have to be put in a lathe and turned down. I have like 3 sets in my garage because every time I go to get them turned down I end up buying new rotors because they are stupid cheap.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Here's some info that might help you to make a decision on what to do.

Spoiler alert: Brake rotors rarely warp. It's usually pad material that has deposited unevenly.

https://alconkits.com/support/brake-pad-info/110-the-real-truth-about-warped-brake-rotors

http://texasz.net/allan_and_rosanne/Z-Car_Stuff/Brakes/STOPTECH%20-%20The%20Warped%20Brake%20Disc%20and%20Other%20Myths%20of%20the%20Braking%20System%20-%20By%20Carroll%20Smith.htm

https://mossmotoring.com/warped-brake-rotors-the-facts/

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sometimes, information that has been making the circuit with the professionals seems new to us. "New" is sometimes difficult to accept, and sometimes it is rejected completely.

Each person decides for themselves.

It's like when I learned about buying only 2 new tires when all 4 are worn down considerably. Where do they go? Most folks, including me, would say to put them on the drive axle, so RWD would put them in the rear and FWD would put them in the front.

Nope! Always put the best tread in the rear.

I'm pretty sure there'll be some discussion about both of these. I'm happy to engage in a respectful conversation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sometimes, information that has been making the circuit with the professionals seems new to us. "New" is sometimes difficult to accept, and sometimes it is rejected completely.

Each person decides for themselves.

It's like when I learned about buying only 2 new tires when all 4 are worn down considerably. Where do they go? Most folks, including me, would say to put them on the drive axle, so RWD would put them in the rear and FWD would put them in the front.

Nope! Always put the best tread in the rear.

I'm pretty sure there'll be some discussion about both of these. I'm happy to engage in a respectful conversation.

I've seen rotors way worse off than what I'm currently at. I still havent been able to lift my front end again yet. I want to see if the caliper is what is causing the drag on my passenger front. But when I has switched my 2 front wheels with each other and I looked at my pads and rotors spun them both looked the same but I honestly could have looked harder. I was just in a hurry because I had errands to do. Anyway I've been looking at rotors calipers and pads to get an idea on what it would cost depending on what is wrong. I noticed that some front rotors have a different center hole style and I'm confused now on which would actually work on my x.

Never seen rotors like these before but when google searching rotors for my x these come up along with

Which ones are what would be on my x?

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
133 Posts
I think the difference in the photos of the rotors is one is for the first gen and one a generic rotor picture. Xterra has 6 lugs and the 2nd rotor photo has 5. They use the same photo selling the rotor brake pad combo for any vehicle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think the difference in the photos of the rotors is one is for the first gen and one a generic rotor picture. Xterra has 6 lugs and the 2nd rotor photo has 5. They use the same photo selling the rotor brake pad combo for any vehicle.
I realized that last night! Seems like a good way to confuse the product you need with one that wont work. Good marketing strategy? Lol anyway so from all the research I have been doing on these forums and google, I feel like I possibly have narrowed down my problem having friction or drag on my passenger front. But I'm not entirely sure where to go from there if that is the problem. When I take my wheel off to get to caliper and pads, if i take my caliper and pads off, spin everything and it spins fine with no drag or friction then I know its caliper and pads. But if I remove caliper and pads and spun everything and it still has friction or drag would I then need to be looking at the hub and internals? Also if I take my caliper and pads off, will I still be able to put them all back on the rotor? Or should I not do that unless I'm replacing them? I just dont want to get it all apart to realize I have to install new ones to get it all back together. Because I have not ordered new ones and dont plan on doing so until I know that's what I need or not. And thanks again for everybody's help and input. I really appreciate it. And I know my X does too.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts