Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to replace the factory radio finally.
I got the aftermarket harness to make install easy.
When I went to power on the radio nothing.
Looked online and found a wiring diagram for the 02 xterra there is no ground where the aftermarket harness has one.
Now I'm using the factory metal brackets on the new radio to mount it.
The lights on the radio come on when the car lights are turned on but the radio won't come on. If I loosen the screws for the mounting brackets the lights on the radio turn off. Screw them back in and the lights come back on and the radio will turn on.
Turn the ignition off for a little while then come back and the radio won't turn on again but the lights on it will turn on with the cars lights still.
Once again unscrew the mounting bracket screws till radio lights turn off. Screw them back in and the radio will power on again.
What is going on? I've never had an issue like this before installing an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Some factory radios ground through the radio case themselves, while most aftermarket units have a dedicated ground conductor. Connect your new radios ground conductor to any good ground and it should be better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some factory radios ground through the radio case themselves, while most aftermarket units have a dedicated ground conductor. Connect your new radios ground conductor to any good ground and it should be better
That's what's odd. If the radio is mounted and I connect the ground wire to the chassis I get no power.
If the radio is not mounted and I connect the ground wire it turns on.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There’s definitely either a problem with the radio or your wiring. There should be zero potential between the ground conductor and the chassis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts