1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everybody.

I went to Grand Canyon again yesterday.
I am still sorting through those photos to determine which ones will go up for sale and which I will share with all of you.

In the mean time, I still have a few photos left to share from my last trip from a week ago.
As I mentioned last time I had to retreat to a cave below the cliffs due to an approaching storm.
After the storm passed I came out of the cave and climbed back up to the cliffs above.

As you can see in the first photo there are still storm clouds in the area, but the storm was moving out of the area.

The 2nd photo shows me standing on a cliff ledge looking out at the storm clouds. This photo is to show how the Fisheye lens I was using can be used quite effectively if it is aimed properly. Note that I am not stretched and the curvature of the fisheye is confined to the outer areas of the photo. A little vertical cropping could easily turn this into a wide panorama.

The 3rd photo shows the sun finally coming out and shining on the canyon walls in the distance.
The red colors of the rock in the sun make a good contrast to the shaded areas.

The 4th and final photo from this visit was shot with my 50mm F1.4 lens.
As you can see it is a closer perspective of the same area except that there is now more sun shining into the canyon.
Also note how sharp the image is. This was not artificially sharpened. This is the result of the camera on a tripod and the aperture being set to F11 with Highlight Weighted Metering.

It will be a few days before I have any new photos from my recent trip ready. But if you have questions feel free to reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Good afternoon everybody.

I went to Grand Canyon again yesterday.
I am still sorting through those photos to determine which ones will go up for sale and which I will share with all of you.

In the mean time, I still have a few photos left to share from my last trip from a week ago.
As I mentioned last time I had to retreat to a cave below the cliffs due to an approaching storm.
After the storm passed I came out of the cave and climbed back up to the cliffs above.

As you can see in the first photo there are still storm clouds in the area, but the storm was moving out of the area.

The 2nd photo shows me standing on a cliff ledge looking out at the storm clouds. This photo is to show how the Fisheye lens I was using can be used quite effectively if it is aimed properly. Note that I am not stretched and the curvature of the fisheye is confined to the outer areas of the photo. A little vertical cropping could easily turn this into a wide panorama.

The 3rd photo shows the sun finally coming out and shining on the canyon walls in the distance.
The red colors of the rock in the sun make a good contrast to the shaded areas.

The 4th and final photo from this visit was shot with my 50mm F1.4 lens.
As you can see it is a closer perspective of the same area except that there is now more sun shining into the canyon.
Also note how sharp the image is. This was not artificially sharpened. This is the result of the camera on a tripod and the aperture being set to F11 with Highlight Weighted Metering.

It will be a few days before I have any new photos from my recent trip ready. But if you have questions feel free to reply.
All good stuff. I hope those boots are more comfortable than they look. I had a pack of "moleskin" close at hand when I hiked the canyon.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good stuff. I hope those boots are more comfortable than they look. I had a pack of "moleskin" close at hand when I hiked the canyon.
The boots are Irish Setter Marsh Boots.
They're quite comfortable, just a little heavy.
They're waterproof and I usually wear them for hiking muddy trails or if I need to cross creeks and swallow rivers.
I wore them on that day due to the heavy rain making the ground muddy.
They're also snake resistant. One time I ran across a Black Rattler and I almost stepped on it before it started rattling. It struck at me but fortunately its bite just bounced off the boot.

I have another pair of rubber boots called Alpha Burly Pro. Those are meant for winter use since they are insulated down to 0*F.
I wear those if I need to hike through snow or cross frozen creeks.
I wore those when I hiked to the summit of Humphrey's Peak, which was over 12,000 feet.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
The boots are Irish Setter Marsh Boots.
They're quite comfortable, just a little heavy.
They're waterproof and I usually wear them for hiking muddy trails or if I need to cross creeks and swallow rivers.
I wore them on that day due to the heavy rain making the ground muddy.
They're also snake resistant. One time I ran across a Black Rattler and I almost stepped on it before it started rattling. It struck at me but fortunately its bite just bounced off the boot.

I have another pair of rubber boots called Alpha Burly Pro. Those are meant for winter use since they are insulated down to 0*F.
I wear those if I need to hike through snow or cross frozen creeks.
I wore those when I hiked to the summit of Humphrey's Peak, which was over 12,000 feet.
12,000 feet....heck I'm out of breath at 10,000 easily. Socorro, New Mexico I believe it was.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12,000 feet....heck I'm out of breath at 10,000 easily. Socorro, New Mexico I believe it was.
When I reached the 11,400 foot marker I did notice that I was breathing faster and had to stop every few hundred feet to catch my breath.
Here is a photo I have for sale that I took at the saddle between Humphrey's and Agassiz Peak.
I didn't have time to go over to Agassiz because it took me nearly the whole day to get to Humphreys.
I ended up having to come down the Snow Bowl ski slope to get back before the sun set.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
When I reached the 11,400 foot marker I did notice that I was breathing faster and had to stop every few hundred feet to catch my breath.
Here is a photo I have for sale that I took at the saddle between Humphrey's and Agassiz Peak.
I didn't have time to go over to Agassiz because it took me nearly the whole day to get to Humphreys.
I ended up having to come down the Snow Bowl ski slope to get back before the sun set.
Looks like you are getting your "steps" in on these adventures. Nice photo work.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you are getting your "steps" in on these adventures. Nice photo work.
Well, this is how I make my living. The photos won't take themselves so I do have to actually go out into the wilderness to get them. That means hiking into areas that the tourists either can't or won't go. When I go to Grand Canyon I hike an average of 5 to 10 miles during each trip, and some areas I hike into don't have maintained trails. It can be very laborious constantly stepping over loose rocks or climbing up slopes that have loose dirt.
About a couple of years ago I hiked Bright Angel Trail down to Plateau Point. That was 14 miles round trip and it took me 13 hours to complete.
When the winter returns I plan to revisit some of the longer trails.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Well, this is how I make my living. The photos won't take themselves so I do have to actually go out into the wilderness to get them. That means hiking into areas that the tourists either can't or won't go. When I go to Grand Canyon I hike an average of 5 to 10 miles during each trip, and some areas I hike into don't have maintained trails. It can be very laborious constantly stepping over loose rocks or climbing up slopes that have loose dirt.
About a couple of years ago I hiked Bright Angel Trail down to Plateau Point. That was 14 miles round trip and it took me 13 hours to complete.
When the winter returns I plan to revisit some of the longer trails.
It's clear that you are truly putting the effort in and I hope you continue to be rewarded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts