Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site and have found a lot ot great information and have been searching for a link but can't find it , could someone who has fought this problem please help .
Here's what has been done so far , tried adjusting shoes through the drums , got them close " 6 clicks from start to tight , lasted for 2 days , then replaced shoes , adjusted again , made it about 4 days . Today adjusted shoes through the drums and still won't hold on my driveway , it's really a pain to have to lock it in 4 lo and shut it off , just to open up the gate , my driveway is definitely steep .
I have thought about replacing the cables that go from the handle to the breakshoes but before I spend the cash I would like to see if anyone has any ideas .
Thanks for any help you can send my way . It's an 06 with a 6 speed 4x4 and of course 4 wheel disk brakes .

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would definitely check the cables. you may have to completely disconnect from the ends to do this properly; you should check them by hand. they may feel stiff and some slight resistance but you should be able to pull in each direction. From what you're describing one or both are not releasing completely and causing loss of adjustment and premature wear. if you do a little internet research you can find cable manufacture's for really cheap, so it may not be worth time checking the old one when you can just throw some on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definitely check the cables. you may have to completely disconnect from the ends to do this properly; you should check them by hand. they may feel stiff and some slight resistance but you should be able to pull in each direction. From what you're describing one or both are not releasing completely and causing loss of adjustment and premature wear. if you do a little internet research you can find cable manufacture's for really cheap, so it may not be worth time checking the old one when you can just throw some on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info , I will check online and see if I can find them at a decent price .
I'm definitely finding a lot of useful information on this site thanks to you and the rest of the members

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Thanks for the info , I will check online and see if I can find them at a decent price .
I'm definitely finding a lot of useful information on this site thanks to you and the rest of the members
might want to also pull the rotors and check in the parking drum for leaking grease, seems to be common on these 2nd gen xs to get rear axlew seal leaks that caise some of the high weight diff fluid to seep into the rear parking brake assembly, if you find some you likely have to change your axles to get them properly fixed which cost a bit of money but supposedly the 4wd seals are replaceable without new axles but like my 2011 2wd is not... but this was dealer info and i could not find a local shop willing to touch my rear axle seals so likely a good reason why they know its a pain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I pulled the rear disc's off and found out that 1 disc was cracked and the other had a large lip on the outside edge , so I replaced both rotors and adjusted the brakes , so far so good , I actually have a parking brake . Definitely got lucky and everything inside was dry . Thanks for all your ideas , this is site has some awesome people who really want to help . ☺

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Well I pulled the rear disc's off and found out that 1 disc was cracked and the other had a large lip on the outside edge , so I replaced both rotors and adjusted the brakes , so far so good , I actually have a parking brake . Definitely got lucky and everything inside was dry . Thanks for all your ideas , this is site has some awesome people who really want to help . ☺
odd, that sounds like someone drove with the parking brake engaged for sometime and overheated them badly as the drum part inside the rear rotor is only activated by the parking brake handle, glad you got it fixed. could have also simply been an age wear thing but that honestly sounds like heat related issues

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just bought it about 2 months ago and the lady who owned it probably did drive with the brakes on but who knows , just happy to have an e-brake .

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Well I just bought it about 2 months ago and the lady who owned it probably did drive with the brakes on but who knows , just happy to have an e-brake .
She likely left the handle partially up and just drug them slightly for long periods should be good now you'd be surprised how many times I have seen this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts