Nissan XTerra Forum banner

adding a trailer hitch got some questions

13K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Snow Chaser 
#1 ·
hey there. i have a 04 xterra but it dose not have trailer hitch, I got it about probably around a year ago and now im looking to add a hitch to it this year. my question is whether or not the xterra is pre-wired for the wiring harness and if there is a difference in the 04 xterra's that had a factory tow package and the xterra's that didn't as in suspension or braking etc...

#2 ·
tow package'd xterras came with a factory hitch w/ nissan-logo hitch cover, wiring harness/4 pin plug, and an extra leaf spring per side (regular was 2 springs + flat spring, tow package was 3 + flat spring)

no difference in brakes

wiring the harness is not hard, most places like advance auto or autozone sell kits with add-a-circuits to tap into the power

#3 ·
The factory tow package X's ( '00-'04) also came with rear frame stiffeners, to add strength to the two rear frame horns that the hitch mounts to.

The frame stiffeners mount inside the C channel ends, to internally sleeve them.

The rest of the frame is boxed, not C channel.

On the 2005+ X's, they are fully boxed to the ends, and no reinforcements are required.

:wink-big:

#4 ·
if that's the case will i have to buy a frame stiffener and if so where can i get this? thanks for your all's help. when it comes to the leaf springs where would you all recommend buying them from to help up the load weight also just to pump the suspension itself?

#9 ·
you want to do the stiffners before you do the hitch. If not you will need to take off the hitch to put the stiffners in-they use six of the same holes for connection.

The leaf springs you can do at any time, it has no impact on the order that you do the mods.

#10 ·
I do not have a add a leaf and mine tows just fine or should i say as good as the 6 cilinder X is gonna tow.

#12 ·
yeah i see the AAL for 60$ and was wounding if that makes it the same as the 3 leaf pack or if its a quick fix? thanks for the info. guys but for sure im going to get the frame stiffeners not just for towing it also sounds like its a good way to strengthen the frame itself.

kbell2433- hey so you just have the 2 leaf springs on your xterra and it dose fine? and if so what do you tow. the thing is that i will be seeing if i can tow my 20' sea ray with my xterra

#14 ·
hey sorry for all the questions but im new to working on nissan's had a ford all my life and thats what i learned how to work on dont know a lot about the xterra yet only had it for a year and love it.
now i just went out side and got under my xterra and it looks like it already has a set of 3 leaf spring if thats the case whats the frame stiffener look like on the factory xterra of just in general?

#16 ·
now i just went out side and got under my xterra and it looks like it already has a set of 3 leaf spring
You're not counting the overload leaf, right? It doesn't really count. I'd call this a two leaf pack: (Overload highlighted in green)

#18 ·
Ok cool yeah thought the flat spring counted guess not so is the AAL not a flat spring or dose that go no top of the flat spring. Ok when I get the frame stiffeners how do the go in?

#21 · (Edited)
Hmm... I wished I knew about the extra leaf and frame stiffener. xklage I think you'd be best off with a stiffer rear end. I have the soft rear end and its not hard for me to really make it sag. I regularly tow a honda foreman 450 on a 5x10 trailer and the rear end rides lower then I would like. I sometimes tow a 20ft trailer full of kids and band equpiment and it almost bottoms the suspension out. Then again that combo is probably putting atleast 500 lbs on my tongue.

We used to have that size sea-ray... the X can tow it. For sure stiffen up the springs though and i'd think about trailer brakes too. The brakes arent necessary but its insurance.

-Clint

#23 ·
Thats probably the only thing, I doubt you're going to load the trailer down enough to bend the frame or even get close to it.

-Clint

#26 ·
tow package'd xterras came with a factory hitch w/ nissan-logo hitch cover, wiring harness/4 pin plug, and an extra leaf spring per side (regular was 2 springs + flat spring, tow package was 3 + flat spring)

no difference in brakes

wiring the harness is not hard, most places like advance auto or autozone sell kits with add-a-circuits to tap into the power
I have an 04 Xterra with the tow package from the Factory and I have a 2 leaf spring pack + the flat spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.