Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the speedometer cluster fail on my 2003 X. Easily changed out the unit with a refurbished unit, but the mileage stays with the unit. Vehicle has about 130K miles, but new odometer reads 97K. I want to sell the vehicle with the correct mileage, but having trouble finding someone to change it. The dealership wouldn't do it, even though I am looking to add mileage (not illegally roll it back). Can this be done with some sort of ODB tool or other device. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Pretty sure tampering with it in any way up or down is illegal. I'd document this as much as you can and even keep the old cluster if you can if you plan to sell it ever. Otherwise i'm sure a flag will get raised at your next inspection/license renewal and it will get tagged with unknown mileage. Doesn't really matter though unless your ever going to sell it.

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
In most states, you can take it to the inspection station and they will document it for you on the paperwork.

·
Chrome can go to hell
2,161 Posts
Only way to do this is to order a new cluster gauge from Nissan and tell them the mileage on the vehicle so the factory can put it in the gauge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe the dealership should be able to provide a sticker saying that the cluster was replaced and is not accurate(if its anything like GM, I work in parts at a gm and toyota dealership).. and the actual mileage should still be stored in the ecm?

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
You could always grab and extra trans speedo sender (or just remove the one from your trans), and plug it in and hook it up to a drill or whatever. Then spin it for a long while to get you there, lol. Not so legal, but it would work since you're going up in mileage.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You could always grab and extra trans speedo sender (or just remove the one from your trans), and plug it in and hook it up to a drill or whatever. Then spin it for a long while to get you there, lol. Not so legal, but it would work since you're going up in mileage.
Crafty... I like it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Bueller anyone?

Reactions: zzxrox

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just don't flip out kick the bumper, and then watch it smash though the back of the garage two stories below.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts