Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an xterra i noticed it didn’t have an ac belt. I went and got one, installed it and my ac still isn’t working. Thinking my ac just needs to be recharged. Any recommendations as to what else it could be?

·
Registered
422 Posts
These systems can be very difficult to test if they’re not charged and haven’t been for some time. The fluorescent dye is the best way but some places will charge it with nitrogen and use soapy water. If you’re not in a state that tightly regulates it, I would almost always just charge it so that you can get some fresh dye on the leak making it easier to detect with a black light. Most if not all xterras have fluorescent dye in at the factory and will not require more dye.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've rebuilt a few AC systems and they are pretty straight forward. The specialized tools can be borrowed form Pepboys or Autozone. The important thing is that if it still has refrigerant in it and you need to disassemble part of the system to replace parts that you don't vent it to the environment. You should take it to have the refrigerant removed for recycling.

Let's walk you through trouble shooting the system bit by bit.

Start the vehicle up and push the AC button to "on" and listen for a click from the engine compartment. Let us know if you hear it. It's the sound of the compressor clutch clicking on. Post back and we'll help you with the next steps in trouble shooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts