Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new and will be updating my profile soon.. but I'm having an issue with my ac not working on my 03 xterra v6 nonsc . I have not been able to get my ac compressor to kick on. One day it just stopped working. Fuses and relay are good, wiring good, i have replaced the compressor and dual pressure switch with no luck. There's another switch or sensor that's right next to the high pressure switch but I'm told that's only sold with the high pressure line included.. i haven't bought it yet bc i wanted to ask here first just in case anyone had the same issues.
Can anyone give me insight or point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Kj

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new and will be updating my profile soon.. but I'm having an issue with my ac not working on my 03 xterra v6 nonsc . I have not been able to get my ac compressor to kick on. One day it just stopped working. Fuses and relay are good, wiring good, i have replaced the compressor and dual pressure switch with no luck. There's another switch or sensor that's right next to the high pressure switch but I'm told that's only sold with the high pressure line included.. i haven't bought it yet bc i wanted to ask here first just in case anyone had the same issues.
Can anyone give me insight or point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Kj
Is it correct to assume that you have all the proper tools required to vacuum down the system and recharge with the proper amount of refrigerant and compressor oil after replacing the compressor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it correct to assume that you have all the proper tools required to vacuum down the system and recharge with the proper amount of refrigerant and compressor oil after replacing the compressor?
Yes. I have a family member helping me out and has all the proper equipment for it and vacuum is holding at -30 for sure. Oil in the new compressor and new condenser as specified in the shop manual.
We've tried feeding it the specified amount of the correct refrigerant and the clutch won't engage. If I remove the relay, i can crank it on with the two terminals that complete the ac connection, but just won't do it on its own.
I've also replaced the sensor in the glove box.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes. I have a family member helping me out and has all the proper equipment for it and vacuum is holding at -30 for sure. Oil in the new compressor and new condenser as specified in the shop manual.
We've tried feeding it the specified amount of the correct refrigerant and the clutch won't engage. If I remove the relay, i can crank it on with the two terminals that complete the ac connection, but just won't do it on its own.
I've also replaced the sensor in the glove box.
I would refer to the factory service manual for your 2003 and look at the electrical check section on page MTC-45 that describes the voltage check for the magnetic clutch circuit.
Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub

·
Registered
2000 SE 4x4 M/T 3.3L
111 Posts
Thermistor? Usually causes intermittent issues with the AC . I've been through two of them over the past 20 years of owning my truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As Ocala X stated, it may be the thermister. I have replaced the thermister on my 2000 Xterra 3.3L twice. The thermister is located in/by the condenser coils in the passenger compartment behind the glove compartment. Nissan part number is 27675-9Z000 (controller assy).

·
Registered
618 Posts
As Ocala X stated, it may be the thermister. I have replaced the thermister on my 2000 Xterra 3.3L twice. The thermister is located in/by the condenser coils in the passenger compartment behind the glove compartment. Nissan part number is 27675-9Z000 (controller assy).
Thermistors self destruct by overheating. They are placed in the air flow to enable the essential cooling they require. If this air flow is obstructed or diminished by a clogged cabin air filter or other issue, the thermistor overheats and burns out to an open electrical state. Replacing the thermistor without correcting the cooling air flow will result in another failure. Don't know if your Gen 1 is equipped with a cabin air filter like the Gen 2's do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thermistors self destruct by overheating. They are placed in the air flow to enable the essential cooling they require. If this air flow is obstructed or diminished by a clogged cabin air filter or other issue, the thermistor overheats and burns out to an open electrical state. Replacing the thermistor without correcting the cooling air flow will result in another failure. Don't know if your Gen 1 is equipped with a cabin air filter like the Gen 2's do.
Gen 1 does not have a cabin air filter.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
769 Posts
I modified my 2001 to have the double-stacked air filters. It was built in July 2000, so I guess it's an early '01.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have intermittent A/C issues with my 2000 X. I tried Curtesy Nissan Parts and Nissan Parts USA and part number is 27675-9Z000 is a Discontinued part. Where would you recommend getting the part you used to replace yours?
Also, how did you get to the component? What approach do you recommend? I am Retired Navy and work better with some guidance please.
Thank you all again for trying to help, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found this one on eBay, NEW AC EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE SENSOR FOR Nissan Xterra Altima Frontier -MT1637 for $23.75. According to the post reviews, others were having the same intermittent AC issues I am having and this part fixed their problem. I have attached the Link here below.

Just wanted your thoughts before I buy and replace my original one.

Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: I replaced my Thermistor (AC EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE SENSOR) with a new one from Auto Zone which cost was only $13.95 and my Intermittent A/C problems are gone. A/C is working at all speed levels. Thank Goodness and thank you XT 2015, Oscala, and Aloha for posting what worked for all of you and the excellent description of the part numbers, location, etc. It is much appreciated
The part from Auto Zone is from Santech, and the part numbers cross reference to the OEM Nissan Part number. It is a carried item in stock. I have attached a PDF, which shows the picture of the part below. Hopefully this will help other members.

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Update: I replaced my Thermistor (AC EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE SENSOR) with a new one from Auto Zone which cost was only $13.95 and my Intermittent A/C problems are gone. A/C is working at all speed levels. Thank Goodness and thank you XT 2015, Oscala, and Aloha for posting what worked for all of you and the excellent description of the part numbers, location, etc. It is much appreciated
The part from Auto Zone is from Santech, and the part numbers cross reference to the OEM Nissan Part number. It is a carried item in stock. I have attached a PDF, which shows the picture of the part below. Hopefully this will help other members.
Well done. Imagine the money you saved with the DIY operation. Celebrate!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well done. Imagine the money you saved with the DIY operation. Celebrate!
Most Definitely, Auto Repair place told me that my A/C compressor needed replacing because the A/C compressor and clutch are a whole assembly and that most likely was my problem since they had already replaced the A/C pressure switch.
Thank you again.

·
Registered
2000 SE 4x4 M/T 3.3L
111 Posts
Excellent! Glad it worked.
Yeah...I was told that my intermittent AC problem was a failed compressor too. That was 15 years ago...that repair shop is now a Popeye's. OEM compressor is still running strong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excellent! Glad it worked.
Yeah...I was told that my intermittent AC problem was a failed compressor too. That was 15 years ago...that repair shop is now a Popeye's. OEM compressor is still running strong.
What a coincidence, first I was told it was the pressure switch and that was replaced. Then, I was told it had to be the old compressor/clutch.
Thank goodness this major issue is resolved. A/C in California is a must. Hopefully others will use the attached PDF I provided, with the repair guidance from all of you to try this in-expensive repair first if they are also having intermittent A/C issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts