Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Nissan fans! I'm new to this forum and I'm pretty impressed with the amount of resources here. My 2000 Xterra's AC has gradually stopped getting colder. I replaced the freon several times but now its only staying cold for a few days.

I assume its one of the lines since its gradual, would that be a good place to start? I guess by trying to get a visual on it by filling it with the freon dye?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated, hot, sticky weather is almost upon us here in GA!

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
A very common problem is a bad hose, that goes from the firewall to the ac compressor. You will need a new one and they are $92 from the dealer (which are made better now), or one from aftermarket suppliers for the $70 area.
It is easy to replace and then you need to charge her up again.
This happens about 90% of the time on the early gen 1 Xs

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Agreed with Itsme while your at it pick up a new dryer before you recharge it to get all the moisture out of the system.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an 02 X and my a/c got to the point where it discharged, but not completely, just enough to not cool. One can and it was good for 3-4 days. I looked carefully at the engine compartment and saw the hose from the compressor up to the radiator was really covered in grime, so I figured it was leaking oil and fluid. I ordered another hose from Rock Auto for $45 and a new dryer. Later I got the dye and put it in (I did not know it was only $20 for a can of R134a with dye) and a black light from Home depot. After one day I saw no trace of the dye. After 3 days I see a trace amount on each end of the hose in question. Tonight I will replace that hose and dyer, vacuum the system and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, I pulled off the AC hose in question and on the bottom it was soaked in coolant and dye. It took 45 minutes to replace the hose and dryer, then I pulled a vacuum for 30 minutes, added 24 ounces coolant and she's good as new. Oily hoses and connections are a good tell tale. Even better when we can fix it ourselves. $45 hose, $30 freon, $9 dryer. Done.

Hose with dye and coolant:

Vacuuming system for 30 minutes

·
Registered
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 3.3L V6 NA, Auto, 4WD
29 Posts
I made this same repair to my 2001. That was six years and 90k miles ago. Haven't had a problem with the AC since. Apparently they did a better job with the replacement hoses than what they did with those installed at the factory.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, I was hoping that if they designed a system with the weakest link in mind, that when something blows, it is a cheap hose that is easily accessible and not something buried in the dash. I can easily live with this repair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I was hoping that if they designed a system with the weakest link in mind, that when something blows, it is a cheap hose that is easily accessible and not something buried in the dash. I can easily live with this repair.
Was yours leaking right after the metal crimp and rubber hose? Thatswhere my hi-side hose is leaking too. And has been for some time now. It leaked down the green oil into the top of steering gear box. I thought mine was old coolant from radiator repair a while back.LOL..... I ordered my hose and dryer other day and hope to fix it this weekend. The wife will be happy again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, it was leaking at each crimp, but the problem was that you could not really see anything on top. The dye showed me just trace amounts, but when I pulled the hose it was soaked on the bottom side. If I had run my hand along the hose I would have felt the oil.

Be sure to vacuum the system before recharging. I also used silicone spray on all the O-rings. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Will do on the vacuum. Did you just pull it down for 30 minutes and call it good? Never messed with auto a/c ... Also, I'm hopin the compressor whining was due to the lack of refrigerant in the system. And NOT the clutch bearing going out!

·
Registered
126 Posts
What I did was hook up the blue hose to the blue gauge (low side) and the red hose to the red gauge (high side) and the yellow hose goes between the two gauges and connects to the vacuum pump. Make sure the pump has enough oil in the inspection window and that the oil cap is on tight (you can lose vacuum if it is loose).

Close the red gauge completely. Connect the red hose to the high side (near the compressor on your new hose) Connect the blue hose to the low side, back near the firewall. Open the blue gauge all the way and turn on the vacuum. The pump will vacuum through the blue line and you'll see the vacuum pressure should go to 30 on the blue gauge.

I did this for 30 minutes. Usually then you turn off the vacuum and wait another 15-20 minutes to see if the vacuum holds or not. After that, 21-24 ounces of R134a, with the engine running and AC on high.

G'luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
My bad...... I already know how to use manifold gauges, but good description for people who haven't. I just wasn't sure if there was a different sequence of pulling a vac on an automotive system compared to resid./comm. units. I appreciate all the tips and hope to have cold air by monday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I pulled off the AC hose in question and on the bottom it was soaked in coolant and dye. It took 45 minutes to replace the hose and dryer, then I pulled a vacuum for 30 minutes, added 24 ounces coolant and she's good as new. Oily hoses and connections are a good tell tale. Even better when we can fix it ourselves. $45 hose, $30 freon, $9 dryer. Done.

Hose with dye and coolant:

Vacuuming system for 30 minutes
I don’t get the point vacuum the system how you do that where you gotta open and what is the dryer

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,553 Posts
I don’t get the point vacuum the system how you do that where you gotta open and what is the dryer
Thread is 11 years old.

You may want to search the internet to learn about AC systems in general. You'll find a lot of information and videos, and it'll all make sense once you learn the basics.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,968 Posts
I'm thinking you may be way ahead if you go see a recommended good AC service garage and let the experienced folks fix it up right. There's a steep learning curve involved in AC maintenance. Mistakes are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm thinking you may be way ahead if you go see a recommended good AC service garage and let the experienced folks fix it up right. There's a steep learning curve involved in AC maintenance. Mistakes are pretty expensive.
I know man the ac is no working properly feel a lil cold but no like if is working I put Freon still the same

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,968 Posts
Was wanting to know the temp to better understand how far degraded the cooling performance is. Sounds like you really should have the system's high and low pressures checked by a certified AC shop tech to see what is going on. You don't want to just keep adding refrigerant without knowing where the pressures are because you can easily go to far and over pressurize the system and blow something out. That's dangerous and expensive. In my experience you can have a AC tech do a systems pressure check on your vehicle for something like $85 or so. All depends on where you live but that should be a ballpark.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was wanting to know the temp to better understand how far degraded the cooling performance is. Sounds like you really should have the system's high and low pressures checked by a certified AC shop tech to see what is going on. You don't want to just keep adding refrigerant without knowing where the pressures are because you can easily go to far and over pressurize the system and blow something out. That's dangerous and expensive. In my experience you can have a AC tech do a systems pressure check on your vehicle for something like $85 or so. All depends on where you live but that should be a ballpark.
Thanks man it look like it’s working better now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts