Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I searched a bit for this with not exact results for this issue.

I refilled my AC system to the factory 23oz of refrigerant. System cools great and pressures seem within spec. The issue is that in order to turn the AC on, I have to turn the fan to #4 ( my new resistor is ordered) , AC button on, and i have to select the front windshield defrost selection in order to actually get the AC compressor to engage.

I have not been able to see how to diagnose this issue in the FSM so I'm curious if someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this digging through the Z forums. Could be similar to what I'm experiencing.

"If your vehicle turns on the A/C automatically, I.e you have no way to turn the air conditioner on except for turning the knob to cold, the issue could be your ambient air temperature sensor.

The ambient air temperature sensor determines how hot or cold it is outside, and that's how it knows how hard to run the A/C system. Defrost forces the system on because it is dehumidifying the air in the vehicle.

There is also an evaporator temperature sensor, which measures the temperature of the A/C evaporator coil - the part that cools the air going to the vents.

If the evaporator temperature sensor has failed, it may think the evaporator is too cold, and shut off the A/C. It could also send no reading, so the A/C would have no signal to run."

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts
That's evap sensor is called the thermistor. It's a known Achille's heel.

Since your rig doesn't have Auto Climate Control, where you set the desired inside temp and let it do the rest, then you should have a manual AC switch. If turning that on doesn't engage the AC then you may have found a clue to the cause of your issue.

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's evap sensor is called the thermistor. It's a known Achille's heel.

Since your rig doesn't have Auto Climate Control, where you set the desired inside temp and let it do the rest, then you should have a manual AC switch. If turning that on doesn't engage the AC then you may have found a clue to the cause of your issue.
Yes the manual switch does nothing.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes the manual switch does nothing.
Are your cabin air filters clean? If they are clogged with debris they can cause serious effects with the in cabin air flow for AC etc. Sounds like you have obvious issues with fan speed switching but the filters should not be overlooked for peak performance of the system.

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are your cabin air filters clean? If they are clogged with debris they can cause serious effects with the in cabin air flow for AC etc. Sounds like you have obvious issues with fan speed switching but the filters should not be overlooked for peak performance of the system.
Its possible. I have only had this car for a week and it was previously sitting for 5 years. Im doing repairs are cheap as possible so I can determine if this truck is even worth keeping with 249K.
I will check the filters and that sensor today. I would assume they are dirty as hell. My main prio currently is to get the compressor to turn on without the defrost option selected. The rest will come in time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey all. I searched a bit for this with not exact results for this issue.

I refilled my AC system to the factory 23oz of refrigerant. System cools great and pressures seem within spec. The issue is that in order to turn the AC on, I have to turn the fan to #4 ( my new resistor is ordered) , AC button on, and i have to select the front windshield defrost selection in order to actually get the AC compressor to engage.

I have not been able to see how to diagnose this issue in the FSM so I'm curious if someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
My X 2003 since sold, but the computer was not reading a/c turn-on and Nissan dealer installed a toggle switch!

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

System is now cooling great. I replaced the expansion valve and cleaned the living crap out of the evaporator inside the cabin.

I believe that I have a faulty AC cabin button on my control. AC only tends to stay on when I press and HOLD the AC button. The moment I let go, the AC clutch disengages.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Update:

System is now cooling great. I replaced the expansion valve and cleaned the living crap out of the evaporator inside the cabin.

I believe that I have a faulty AC cabin button on my control. AC only tends to stay on when I press and HOLD the AC button. The moment I let go, the AC clutch disengages.
Great for you. Mine was is but since sold X was bad connection between a/c and computer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts