Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I replaced both upper and lower ball joints as well as new rotors and pads on my 2001 X 4x4. I had to pull both wheel sensors to get the steering knuckles off. Both sensors were clean. Removing the wheel hubs from the rotors was a pain and may have marred a few of the teeth on the tone ring. Now my abs light is on and i'm gonna pull the codes tomorrow.How critical is this? No chips or cracks that i could tell. Also can the tone ring be replaced or new wheel hub?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Off the showroom floor, my ABS light would come on occasionally.
What I discovered years later was the spindle bearing adjustment was off. It was just loose enough to give play on the rotor.

Did you clean the tone ring?
Did you leave any slop in the front bearing spindle? That was my issue and just started up again recently. I'm going to pull mine soon, repack the bearings, clean the sensor and forget about it.

Test it this way. Before you start the car, turn the ignition so the dash lights up, push the brake hard and hold it. Crank it up. Does the light go off?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that in the morning. I cleaned every thing, and repacked all the bearings. As far as I know there isn't any slop. I'm just worried i may have nicked one of the tone rings.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I'll try that in the morning. I cleaned every thing, and repacked all the bearings. As far as I know there isn't any slop. I'm just worried i may have nicked one of the tone rings.
Tone rings are probably fine. If the ABS light stays on after pumping and holding the brake hard and then starting it, more than likely it is a clearance tolerance issue with the pickup, damaged pickup wire or loose bearings.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
How would a clearance tolerance issue be rectified?[/QUOT

I would check my axle bearings first before any play. Easier to find the loose point if both front wheels are off the ground also. Jack it up and hit the tires with a rubber mallet. Anything loose makes a noise. Fix/tighten/replace

If the caliper, tone ring and pick up unit are clean and functional, throw a thin plastic washer to add more gap.l

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bearings checked out ok. Not loose. Tried to read the codes with my abs code reader and it wont read. Did the manual code check with pin 9 and the abs light didn't blink, it just stayed on? Cleaned the sensors, light still on. Next going to try the clearance. I'm at my wits end!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My code reader won't give me a code but it will clear a code, turning off the light. Weird. Started it was gonna go for a quick ride to see if it came on. Hit my brakes going out my driveway and the abs engaged. 30 seconds down the road light came back on and abs was disengaged.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My ABS light occasionally comes on in my 02' SC. However, have had my truck serviced and repaired and know that everything is running how it should be. Sometimes it can be sensor issues or iv'e even heard it could be an emission issue?
I wouldn't worry about it if its occasional.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. I was finally able to get the code. 1 longer flash followed by 2 short flashes, then 2 longer flashes followed by 5 short flashes. Im assuming code 25? Front left sensor (open circuit).

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Yep. Front left sensor.
Don't throw the baby out with the water just yet. Check the wiring carefully. If it is nicked, repair it. Odds are, I could put your sensor in my car and it would work. Look over it very carefully.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked at the sensor ring and yes there is a small nick in one of the teeth. Gonna check for continuity of the wiring tomorrow also maybe try to get the sensor closer to the ring. I tend to believe its the sensor ring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.