Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Lately, every once in a while when I come to a stop there is a grinding noise coming from my left front of my car then my ABS light comes on.

I got the codes checked out it it gave me Code 17, which is a G sensor fault and a Code 25, which is a front speed sensor fault.

Would the grinding and ABS light be caused by problems with the hub assembly?

Thanks in advance for any response.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have an abs light as well, not sure I have the same grinding though. I was told that most likely the sensor just needs to be cleaned, not too hard. I need to try it though. Grinding sounds like either its time for new brakes or wheel bearings...anyone know what the average life of the original wheel bearings are?

·
\m/>_<\m/
2,066 Posts
I have an abs light as well, not sure I have the same grinding though. I was told that most likely the sensor just needs to be cleaned, not too hard. I need to try it though. Grinding sounds like either its time for new brakes or wheel bearings...anyone know what the average life of the original wheel bearings are?
I have 90k and the fronts are almost shot, i'm going to pull them soon and repack them and see how long i can get them to run for..

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have 180k and i'm wondering if they have ever been done, i'm guessing not...I wonder if I should just replace them to be sure.

·
Read Only
53 Posts
HI Everyone
First of this forum is fantastic I have learned a lot thanks for sharing info ,
About the end abs light and noise I had the same and once cleaned the abs sensor reset the code everything was as good as new Hope this helps

Vibration
If anyone has trouble on vibration over 60 mph I Had that problem and
Had tires balanced
Drive shaft front rear u joints changed
Same time I was due for gear oil change (trany,transfer case ,front rear diff )
after all this still got vibration over 60mph
Final check was my rear brake drums put the rear on stands turned the rear tires and noticed one side drum was warpt had it turned machined as they were new drums brakes now it works properly
Tested over 60mph no more vibration .
Hope this may help others as it help me .
I am no mechanic so i do not know the proper terms please for give me .

·
Registered
253 Posts
You can get a grinding noise coming from the hub assembly if you have a 4x4 what you could try is engaging the 4x4 and disengaging it because it can happen when one hub is locked and another isn't. Check this link in the FSM talks about it.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2004_Xterra/fax.pdf

What I'm not sure of is if it will throw the abs codes or not. I'm guessing not, but if you havnt re-greased your wheel bearings then you should look into it as it will give you a good opportunity to look into the grinding noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts