Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I have a 2002 Xterra V6 XE auto 4x4. My Abs started acting up a few months ago, it hasn't effected my state inspection or anything, and truthfully I haven't missed it. However, I hate having dash lights in my face and I like my vehicles working 100%. I did the paperclip trick (thank you haynes manual) and got the code for the g-sensor.

So pricing it ... its expensive and I'm near Boston, we have NO junkyards in reasonable distance. No luck on e-bay yet. What I want to know is if any other vehicles use a compatible sensor ... or if I could Splice in another cars sensor and have it work. Or even if anyone has had luck fixing the existing sensor or recalibrating?

Any help would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
can't give any real help, but have an idea. cover the light with black electric tape. it'll "go away". seriously, good luck with it. i've got the light too. three sensors and a pump= big expense. should try cleaning the sensors but I don't have time. what about maybe looking up parts for an xterra on ebay other than a sensor. [maybe body parts]. some should come up in junkyards- then you could maybe email the yard asking for the part you need off the one they have. may not work they may say no but can't hurt. also some people get parts from Courtesy Nissan. they may be good for a new one. couple of ideas to start anyway

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea unless I can find a local junkyard I'm looking at about $200+ ... problem with e-mailing instead of picking yourself is they can look up the part and charge you accordingly ... might just have to resort to taping it or i might try modifying it with another car's g sensor ... like a Toyota

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Not sure if that would work, i got lucky and local yard had one that specialized in classic domestics so when i got that black plastic thingy out of it and offered him $10 for it he took it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Before you go out and buy a new G sensor, you can troubleshoot it to make sure it's actually malfunctioning. You may get lucky, and the problem may be with the harness.

The troubleshooting guide for it is in the factory manual here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2002_Xterra/br.pdf

Start on page BR-64

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is an awesome resource ... I never knew this existed but its exactly what I needed. Thank you so much, looks like I'll be tearing into my car as soon as I get some time and it stops snowing here.

·
Registered
997 Posts
That is an awesome resource ... I never knew this existed but its exactly what I needed. Thank you so much, looks like I'll be tearing into my car as soon as I get some time and it stops snowing here.
Mine has this code from time to time, every time I test it its working fine. clear the code, and its fine for a while. The problem is as you know, abs light on, no abs. Its easy to get to.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
ABS- G sensor 2002 X terra SE/SC

I have to say this has got to be one of the easiest fixes I have done on my X-terra. The repair shop where I got the code pulled to verify for the part wanted to charge $495 for this using an aftermarket sensor. I found one on E-bay for $230.00. The G-sensor location on my 02 SE/SC Automatic was at the rear of the center storage box console. It is pretty much inside of it right next to the rear screws at the carpet next the seat mount base. I slid the seats forward and unscrewed those console screws by the floor and gently pushed the console box up and prop'ed it with a small cardboard box. After disabling the ABS fuses and system and disconnecting the battery of course. It is held in with two 10mm screws that you will need a ratchet to remove. Took about 15 minutes. Te part is about the size of thumb and has a connector so no wiring skills needed. Any shop that wants to charge and hour or more labor for this is ripping you off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did it myself. Bought new sensor and installed. However, it still give me the same error message about G sensor. Any advice?

·
Registered
84 Posts
sorry to resurrect this old thread. i've had an intermittent ABS light for a few months. finally decided to get it diagnosed and the shop said it's a yaw sensor (that somehow involves removing the steering wheel). is it possible the shop meant it's the deceleration sensor under the center console?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
sorry to resurrect this old thread. i've had an intermittent ABS light for a few months. finally decided to get it diagnosed and the shop said it's a yaw sensor (that somehow involves removing the steering wheel). is it possible the shop meant it's the deceleration sensor under the center console?
what year? the 2nd gens have a yaw sensor

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 2001 3.3L 4x4 model

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have a 2001 3.3L 4x4 model
47930-7Z300 is nissan's number for your decel sensor
47930-9Z300 is the g force sensor I would have the shop you are having the work done at verify which they are referring to

·
Registered
84 Posts
47930-7Z300 is nissan's number for your decel sensor
47930-9Z300 is the g force sensor I would have the shop you are having the work done at verify which they are referring to
they said it was a C1113 code. from googling it, looks like it is the deceleration sensor.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice find! Ordered.
What symptoms did your X exhibit? I’ve had the ABS light on but it will not throw a code. It will occasionally engage the ABS and pull to the right when I stop in dry conditions. When it’s slick and ABS kicks in cuz of a slide the ABS reaction is a tad anemic.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
What symptoms did your X exhibit? I’ve had the ABS light on but it will not throw a code. It will occasionally engage the ABS and pull to the right when I stop in dry conditions. When it’s slick and ABS kicks in cuz of a slide the ABS reaction is a tad anemic.
sounds like you have air in the abs pump or the valve is sticking, i would have the brake system bled fully and properly which requires a computer connection to activate the abs system when needed to get air out, so a dealer would be your best bet, then see if the issue resolves or not, if not let us know and we will continue troubleshooting

·
Registered
84 Posts
to be honest, i had no noticeable symptoms when the ABS light would come on. even towed a few times with the light on. ill report back after swapping out the decel sensor.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts